Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
john gennard

Default mutt - no incoming mailboxes defined

I've been using Debian since Slink days, but I'm now 81 and had a stroke
some 30 months ago which has done severe damage to my brain.

Have just built a new box and put Debian 6.04 on it. There are a number
of problems with the installation and I'm working through them one at a
time. I'm unable to get my email working and this is confusing me
greatly. I use getmail (this is OK), nullmailer (which should be fine)
and Mutt which is the headache.. I've used this combination on all previous
editions without too much trouble, but now I'm 'lost' - I can't find my
original notes from Potato days - presumably I arrogantly thought I
wouldn't need - how wrong can one get!!!

Would someone kindly explain what Mutt does when it launches, and give
the .muttrc entries for mbox, maildir (which I use), and how Mail fits
in. I run from my user John's home directory.

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but it's so frustrating to be in this
state.

John.

Archive: 4F63633B.4050600@btinternet.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F63633B.4050600@btinternet.com

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Lisi

On Friday 16 March 2012 15:58:51 john gennard wrote:
> I've been using Debian since Slink days, but I'm now 81 and had a stroke
> some 30 months ago which has done severe damage to my brain.
[snip]
> Sorry to ask such a simple question, but it's so frustrating to be in this
> state.

How awful for you. :-( It is soul destroying to face a simple problem, that
you could have solved a few years ago while standing on your head and
thinking about something else, that is now too much. Been there, done that,
got the tee shirt - tho' from a different cause from yours.

Lisi

Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:58:51 +0000, john gennard wrote:

> I've been using Debian since Slink days, but I'm now 81 and had a stroke
> some 30 months ago which has done severe damage to my brain.

Get my sincerely congrats, sir, for still having the joy to play with
computers and messing with Mutt :-)

(...)

> Would someone kindly explain what Mutt does when it launches,

If you run Mutt with debug flag you will get more information:

mutt -d2

And then:

cat .muttdebug0

(don't send this log file to any public source because it can contain
sensitive data, is just for your review)

> and give the .muttrc entries for mbox, maildir (which I use), and how
> Mail fits in. I run from my user John's home directory.

Are you using a local mailbox or a pop3/imap local account?

There's a nice guide here:

My first mutt / Mail storage
http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/storage/

> Sorry to ask such a simple question, but it's so frustrating to be in
> this state.

There is nothing to sorry about. Mutt configuration it can be a bit
cryptic. I still barely use the 15% of its capabilities :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón