Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Allan Wind

Default Are there any current label printers that works with Linux/amd64?

Hi,

Does anyone have a current label printer working with
Linux/amd64?

Brother QL-580N appears to be decent hardware, but apparently
a brick under amd64[1][2]. Neither the install instructions
(--force-all) or the source code I looked at inspired confidence.

Dymo is supported under CUPS, but bug 640246[3] suggest current
models are not supported. Apparently the LabelWrite 450 have
some design issues causing jams if you print multiple labels at a
time.

Zebra printers appears to be supported by CUPS (CPCL, EPL1, EPL2,
and ZPL). This should cover their least expensive model (LP 2824
Plus), but the hardware is still a bit pricey.

Printing on sheets does not work out too well for a label at a
time application.

[1] <http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_esp.html#QL-580N>
[2] <http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_esp3.html>
[3] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=640246>

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:36:47 -0400, Allan Wind wrote:

> Does anyone have a current label printer working with Linux/amd64?

(...)

Google returns a Slahdot post (2009) about this, maybe you find something useful
inside the comments:

Linux-Friendly Label Printer Recomendations?
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/09/07/30/2317215/linux-friendly-label-printer-recomendations

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Allan Wind

On 2012-03-16 18:18:42, Camaleón wrote:
> Google returns a Slahdot post (2009) about this, maybe you find something useful
> inside the comments:
>
> Linux-Friendly Label Printer Recomendations?
> http://ask.slashdot.org/story/09/07/30/2317215/linux-friendly-label-printer-recomendations

Yeah, I read through that earlier. I don't necessarily need
anything heavy duty.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Dave Thayer

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 01:36:47AM -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a current label printer working with
> Linux/amd64?
>
> Brother QL-580N appears to be decent hardware, but apparently
> a brick under amd64[1][2]. Neither the install instructions
> (--force-all) or the source code I looked at inspired confidence.

I am planning to move my 32-bit userspace to 64 bits next HD upgrade,
so your post inspired me to throw together an amd64 VM to test my
QL-500 printer. I used the stable amd64 netinst iso and selected the
print server task.

The Brother drivers for my QL-500 seem to work OK under the 64 bit
architecture, even without installing the 32 bit compatability
libraries as described in "Using proprietary i386 apps on an amd64
system" <http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/531>. Maybe the
drivers are statically linked.

Anyway, the installation *is* somewhat touchy and took me a couple of
tries. Here are the steps that I had to take:

ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/cupsys
mkdir /var/spool/lpd
dpkg --force all -i ql500lpr-1.0.0-1.i386.deb
dpkg --force all -i ql500cupswrapperinch-1.0.0-1.debian.i386.deb
<Configure CUPS and print teensy test page>

I suspect these same steps would be needed installing in an i386
system anyway as the ln & mkdir changes reflect locations in newer
systems and the "--force all" is required, erm, normally.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to