-   -   Latest Linux Kernel 3.x.x Series Compiled for Ubuntu and Debian Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/645210-latest-linux-kernel-3-x-x-series-compiled-ubuntu-debian-linux.html)

"Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" 03-16-2012 04:08 AM

Latest Linux Kernel 3.x.x Series Compiled for Ubuntu and Debian Linux

Hi,

I have compiled the *latest* linux kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and Debian Linux for you to install. You may download the *latest* linux
kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and Debian from the following download links:

(1) linux-image-3.3.0-rc7-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_14.mar.2012_amd64.deb

Download Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?kn505tufic974zj

(2) linux-headers-3.3.0-rc7-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_14.mar.2012_amd64.deb

Download Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?cj1a1k82v516jp0

(3) linux-image-3.2.11-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_15.mar.2012_amd64.deb

Download Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?mkh4rd6tobit35b

(4) linux-headers-3.2.11-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_15.mar.2012_amd64.deb

Download link:http://www.mediafire.com/?xzxk5sbaujbnkkg

To install the linux kernel .deb files, please execute the following commands:

(a) sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.0-rc7-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_14.mar.2012_amd64.deb

(b) sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.0-rc7-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_14.mar.2012_amd64.deb

(c) sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.2.11-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_15.mar.2012_amd64.deb

(d) sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.2.11-xen-teo.en.ming-sgp_15.mar.2012_amd64.deb

Please report successes and also let me know if you encounter any problems.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)

Archive: 4F62CAE5.1060702@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F62CAE5.1060702@gmail.com

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 03-17-2012 01:13 PM

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> I have compiled the *latest* linux kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and
> Debian Linux for you to install. You may download the *latest* linux
> kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and Debian from the following download
> links:

Beware. Installing .deb packages from joe random is almost guaranteed to
get you a rootkit sooner or later (.deb packages run scripts as root during
install/configure/removal/purge).

When these packages are kernels offered by someone coming out of the blue,
it becomes even more suspicious.

If you want the latest development kernel (which you should NOT use EVER
unless you really know what you're doing or you will end up in a data loss
situation or broken system sooner or later), use "git" do download and
compile it yourself.

If you want the latest "reasonably stable" kernel, you can get the source
packages from Debian or Ubuntu and compile them with a simple command, OR
you can get one of the backports maintained by known Debian or Ubuntu
developers.

Henrique Holschuh

Brad Alexander 03-17-2012 03:53 PM

Latest Linux Kernel 3.x.x Series Compiled for Ubuntu and Debian Linux

Concur with Henrique. If you really want the latest Debian offers, the
proper way to do it would be to add the experimental repository to
your sources.list. The OP offers, among others, 3.3.0rc7. Debian
experimental has 3.3.0rc6 in the repo. That one minor version bump is
not worth the risk.

That is one of the strengths of Debian, is that 99.9% of all the
software is in Debian's native repositories. The other 0.1% is
generally set up by companies (e.g. OpsView or Opera), and is in a
proper repository...And signed by their gpg key.

I too would earnestly avoid a kernel (or most other software) posted
to a mailing list by a random user and using mediafire as a
distribution medium...

Not worth the risk...

--b

Brad Alexander 03-17-2012 04:01 PM

Latest Linux Kernel 3.x.x Series Compiled for Ubuntu and Debian Linux

Perhaps instead of distributing the kernel, the OP should distribute
the .config files for the various kernels he is offering and
interested individuals could compile it locally...

Steven Post 03-17-2012 10:33 PM

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 12:53 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Concur with Henrique. If you really want the latest Debian offers, the
> proper way to do it would be to add the experimental repository to
> your sources.list. The OP offers, among others, 3.3.0rc7. Debian
> experimental has 3.3.0rc6 in the repo. That one minor version bump is
> not worth the risk.
>
> That is one of the strengths of Debian, is that 99.9% of all the
> software is in Debian's native repositories. The other 0.1% is
> generally set up by companies (e.g. OpsView or Opera), and is in a
> proper repository...And signed by their gpg key.
>
> I too would earnestly avoid a kernel (or most other software) posted
> to a mailing list by a random user and using mediafire as a
> distribution medium...
>
> Not worth the risk...

+1 agree

> --b
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> >> I have compiled the *latest* linux kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and
> >> Debian Linux for you to install. You may download the *latest* linux
> >> kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and Debian from the following download
> >> links:

[...]

I thought this message looked familiar:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/15/320

istimsak abdulbasir 03-18-2012 12:31 AM

Latest Linux Kernel 3.x.x Series Compiled for Ubuntu and Debian Linux

Thanks for letting me know.

On Mar 17, 2012 7:34 PM, "Steven Post" <redalert.commander@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 12:53 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:

> Concur with Henrique. If you really want the latest Debian offers, the

> proper way to do it would be to add the experimental repository to

> your sources.list. The OP offers, among others, 3.3.0rc7. Debian

> experimental has 3.3.0rc6 in the repo. That one minor version bump is

> not worth the risk.

> That is one of the strengths of Debian, is that 99.9% of all the

> software is in Debian's native repositories. The other 0.1% is

> generally set up by companies (e.g. OpsView or Opera), and is in a

> proper repository...And signed by their gpg key.

> I too would earnestly avoid a kernel (or most other software) posted

> to a mailing list by a random user and using mediafire as a

> distribution medium...

> Not worth the risk...

+1 agree

> --b

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

> <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

> >> I have compiled the *latest* linux kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and

> >> Debian Linux for you to install. You may download the *latest* linux

> >> kernels 3.x.x series for Ubuntu and Debian from the following download

> >> links:

[...]

Stan Hoeppner 03-18-2012 03:25 AM

On 3/17/2012 9:13 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> If you want the latest development kernel (which you should NOT use EVER
> unless you really know what you're doing or you will end up in a data loss
> situation or broken system sooner or later), use "git" do download and
> compile it yourself.
>
> If you want the latest "reasonably stable" kernel, you can get the source
> packages from Debian or Ubuntu and compile them with a simple command, OR
> you can get one of the backports maintained by known Debian or Ubuntu
> developers.

When I upgrade my server kernels every few months I simply wget the
latest stable from kernel.org, unpack it, read the docs, run menuconfig
and select my options, then build it with the included Debian target:

$ make KDEB_PKGVERSION=custom.1.0 deb-pkg

I test it for a week or two on one system, if all is good I install it
on the others. Most recent iteration was 3.2.6.

--
Stan

Stan Hoeppner 03-18-2012 04:04 AM

On 3/17/2012 12:26 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 17 Mar 2012 at 13:01:19 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:
>
>> Perhaps instead of distributing the kernel, the OP should distribute
>> the .config files for the various kernels he is offering and
>> interested individuals could compile it locally...
>
> If this is the same person he could do without any encouragment.
>
> http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/mpich-discuss/2010-August/007811.html

It seems pretty clear this Chinese guy isn't malicious, but simply
suffers from untreated bipolar disorder--a mania episode is glaringly
evident in the post linked above, which I'd read at the time on another
list he posted it to.

Regardless, as others have stated, never use a binary kernel or source
from an untrusted entity. They may work fine, but it's not worth the
risk to find out, especially given how easy it is to build your own
kernel from vanilla or distro source.

--
Stan