-   -   Problem with trying to instal Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/645206-problem-trying-instal-debian.html)

Bret Busby 03-16-2012 02:26 AM

Problem with trying to instal Debian

Hello.

I have had to replace the hard drive in my laptop computer, which is an
HP/Compaq NX5000, as the previous hard drive appeared to have failed.

The computer had Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.04, and Debian 4 or 5 (I think it
may have been 5, but am not sure) installed on it.

So I thought that I would just instal Debian 6 on it.

I have a Debian 6.03 i386 CD1 ISO CD that I had made, and I tried to
instal from that.

After repeated attempts, as it seemed to hang at "Detecting Network
Device" or some similarly worded message, I just left it running (or not
running, as it had appeared).

After about half an hour, or an hour or so, I found a message that it
required firmware for the network card; IPW something or other, and
required me to produce that, before it would proceed further.

So, overnight, I downloaded the Debian 6.04 i386 ISO DVD 1, as I figured
that that should have whatever is needed.

I "burnt it to disk", using the drag and drop thing within File Manager
on an existing installation of Debian 6, on a 64 bit machine (installed
from the Debian 6.03 AMD64 CD1 ISO CD), and tried to install from that.

In booting the laptop with that disk, I got the error "Non system disk
or disk error".

It took several hours to download that image, and it does not work.

With this policy change by the Debian people, to exclude "firmware", so
as to make installing Debian difficult, I have had problems, over time,
in trying to instal Debian 6 on different computers, being unable to
instal Debian 6, until Debian 6.03 was released.

Is it possible to have this policy that excludes firmware from official
installable disks, overturned, so that Debian 6 can be more easily
installed?

Or, are we required to instal earlier, obsolete versions of Debian, to
obtain a working version of Debian, that is installable?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992
.................................................. ..

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1203161112130.9303@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1203161112130.9303@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net

Greg Madden 03-16-2012 02:50 AM

On Thursday 15 March 2012 7:26:53 pm Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have had to replace the hard drive in my laptop computer, which is an
> HP/Compaq NX5000, as the previous hard drive appeared to have failed.
snip
> With this policy change by the Debian people, to exclude "firmware", so
> as to make installing Debian difficult, I have had problems, over time,
> in trying to instal Debian 6 on different computers, being unable to
> instal Debian 6, until Debian 6.03 was released.
>
> Is it possible to have this policy that excludes firmware from official
> installable disks, overturned, so that Debian 6 can be more easily
> installed?
snip

There are net-install images of Squeeze + firmware on this page, also tarballs of
firmare with instruction on use.

http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/debian-installer/
bottom of page.
--
Peace,

Greg

Bret Busby 03-17-2012 04:37 PM

[...]

Okay.

I have downloaded a netinst ISO, and written it to a CD using Brasero
rather than the CD/DVD Creator.

I started the installation process, but it fails at "Configure the
package manager", as it determines that all of the archive mirrors that
I have tried in Australia and the USA, are bad, especially
ftp.<your_country_code>.debian.org . The UWA, iinet, and AARNet mirrors,
which I understand to be the most commonly usd mirrors in Australia, are
included in the "bad" mirrors.

This is one of the problems with using net installations, when the
installation can't access the mirrors.

I do not know whether the firmware is faulty (the IPW firmware) or the
mirror settings within the downloaded netinst ISO, are bad.

But, it does not work.

--

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1203180128500.19801@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1203180128500.19801@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net

Brian 03-17-2012 05:41 PM

On Sun 18 Mar 2012 at 01:37:41 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I do not know whether the firmware is faulty (the IPW firmware) or the
> mirror settings within the downloaded netinst ISO, are bad.
>
> But, it does not work.

If not a single mirror works for you it looks like a network problem.
Could you beef up on the previous 'IPW something or other'? Was firmware
asked for during the install? How did you provide it if it was? Any
chance of knowing what the card is and whether you set up the network
with DHCP? Cables plugged in tightly?

Bret Busby 03-17-2012 06:13 PM

Problem with trying to instal Debian

I do not know whether the firmware is faulty (the IPW firmware) or the
mirror settings within the downloaded netinst ISO, are bad.

But, it does not work.

If not a single mirror works for you it looks like a network problem.
Could you beef up on the previous 'IPW something or other'? Was firmware
asked for during the install? How did you provide it if it was? Any
chance of knowing what the card is and whether you set up the network
with DHCP? Cables plugged in tightly?

The IPW thing is the firmware required for the network adaptor. I think
it is IPW200 or something similar.

That is why I had to use the firmware instal, and the only way
availabl;e, is using the netinst ISO.

The instal process defaulted to setting up DHCP, but that did not work,
as the LAN here uses static IP addresses this side of the
firewall/gateway computer. I think that the modem/router uses DHCP, and
it is thus DHCP from the modem/router to the firewall/gateway computer,
and the firewall/gateway computer and everything this side of it, uses
static IP addresses.

I checked the connections of the CAT5 cable between the NX500 (the
laptop on which I have been trying to instal Debian 6) and the switch
to which it connects (we are currently using two switches - one down
this end of the house, and, onte at the other end of the house, that
services the laptop and netbook and tablet computers.

The network adaptor in the NX5000, had worked without any problems, with
Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian 5 (I think it was Debian 5, rather than Debian 4,
that that computer had been running), previous to this installation
attempt, and my wife had been using the switych, earlier this evening,
without any problem, so the problem appears to be in the installation
process.

--

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1203180304420.19801@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1203180304420.19801@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net

Brian 03-17-2012 06:56 PM

On Sun 18 Mar 2012 at 03:13:39 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> The IPW thing is the firmware required for the network adaptor. I think
> it is IPW200 or something similar.

You should know, but I'll not press it.

> That is why I had to use the firmware instal, and the only way
> availabl;e, is using the netinst ISO.
>
> The instal process defaulted to setting up DHCP, but that did not work,
> as the LAN here uses static IP addresses this side of the
> firewall/gateway computer. I think that the modem/router uses DHCP, and
> it is thus DHCP from the modem/router to the firewall/gateway computer,
> and the firewall/gateway computer and everything this side of it, uses
> static IP addresses.

So you fill in all the fields pertaining to setting up a static address
and certify it is correct when asked. At this point go to a console with
ALT-F2.

Unfortunately, the installer doesn't have ping but it does have wget. So

wget http://www.debian.org

Do you see a line of stars on the screen? Does 'ls -l' show index.html?

Lisi 03-17-2012 07:21 PM

On Saturday 17 March 2012 19:56:03 Brian wrote:
> So you fill in all the fields pertaining to setting up a static address
> and certify it is correct when asked.

I almost always set up a static IP. It is very simple. When the installer
asks you, reject the DHCP offer.

Lisi

Brian 03-17-2012 07:58 PM

On Sat 17 Mar 2012 at 20:21:13 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 17 March 2012 19:56:03 Brian wrote:
> > So you fill in all the fields pertaining to setting up a static address
> > and certify it is correct when asked.
>
> I almost always set up a static IP. It is very simple. When the installer
> asks you, reject the DHCP offer.

I do too. But Brett needs to find out whether it works for him.

Lisi 03-17-2012 09:01 PM

On Saturday 17 March 2012 20:58:44 Brian wrote:
> On Sat 17 Mar 2012 at 20:21:13 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 March 2012 19:56:03 Brian wrote:
> > > So you fill in all the fields pertaining to setting up a static address
> > > and certify it is correct when asked.
> >
> > I almost always set up a static IP. It is very simple. When the
> > installer asks you, reject the DHCP offer.
>
> I do too. But Brett needs to find out whether it works for him.

Of course. But I thought that he may not know to reject the DHCP offer. It
isn't immediately obvious that doing so will mean that you have the chance to
set up a static IP. And I find that it can help psychologically if you tell
someone that something is easy.

Lisi

Brian 03-17-2012 09:55 PM

On Sat 17 Mar 2012 at 22:01:00 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 17 March 2012 20:58:44 Brian wrote:
> >
> > I do too. But Brett needs to find out whether it works for him.
>
> Of course. But I thought that he may not know to reject the DHCP offer. It
> isn't immediately obvious that doing so will mean that you have the chance to
> set up a static IP. And I find that it can help psychologically if you tell
> someone that something is easy.

That's a good point. I had assumed that when he said DHCP didn't work he
had gone for the static setup.