Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Bob Proulx

Default Problem with trying to instal Debian

Bret Busby wrote:
> I gave it another try last night, using the Debian 6.03 CD 1 that I
> had created using Ubuntu 10.04 (I had installed Debian 6 on this
> computer, using a disc similarly dreated using Ubuntu 10.04) a while
> ago.

I am glad to hear that you didn't give up.

> I answered NO to the firmware question for the wireless NIC driver
> (it is unfortunate that the question does not indicate that it is
> for a wireless device, otherwise I would have answered No from the
> start, and saved all the trouble and the coasters),

At that point only the Linux kernel knows that information. IIRC the
Linux kernel is looking up the device id in its table of device ids
and mapping that to a device driver name and asking for an associated
binary blob. That information isn't available to the installer. It
is just passing it along to the user. The device driver could be
anything. Although I suppose a data table in the installer could be
maintained with that information. However it is always bad to have
that information needed to be maintained in two separate places and in
sync at all times. That would be a nightmare to maintain.

> and then proceeded through the installation without any problems,
> and now have an apparently functional installation of Debian 6.03 on
> the NX5000.

Good to hear.

Bob

Old 03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 16 mar 12, 11:26:53, Bret Busby wrote:

> I "burnt it to disk", using the drag and drop thing within File
> Manager on an existing installation of Debian 6, on a 64 bit machine
> (installed from the Debian 6.03 AMD64 CD1 ISO CD), and tried to
> install from that.
>
> In booting the laptop with that disk, I got the error "Non system
> disk or disk error".
>
> It took several hours to download that image, and it does not work.

If you try to access the disk what do you see, one .iso file or several
other files. You may want to read http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#what-is

Kind regards,
Andrei