-   -   Problem with Update repository (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/645197-problem-update-repository.html)

Bret Busby 03-16-2012 01:38 AM

Problem with Update repository

Hello.

Recently, I have been getting an error message both from an update
manager applet, and, in checking for system updates.

The error message is:

"
An internal error has occured and the operation has been aborted.
Error message:
Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
404 Not Found [IP: 199.6.12.70 80]
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

"

Please advise how to overcome this error.

I have tried to change the repository settings using
Synaptic -> Repositories -> Debian Software -> Download From
but it appears to not overcome the probem.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992
.................................................. ..

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1203161033460.6532@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1203161033460.6532@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net

Scott Ferguson 03-16-2012 04:21 AM

On 16/03/12 13:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Recently, I have been getting an error message both from an update
> manager applet, and, in checking for system updates.
>
> The error message is:
>
> "
> An internal error has occured and the operation has been aborted.
> Error message:
> Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
> 404 Not Found [IP: 199.6.12.70 80]
> , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
> "

Strange:-

$ ping http.us.debian.org
PING ftp.us.debian.org (64.50.236.52)

Is that the only error you got?
If so, and if you aren't building from source, just comment out that src
line in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Does the relevant line look like either of these?
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

Have you considered using a local mirror? eg.:-
mirror.3fl.net.au Westnet
ftp.netspace.net.au Netspace Online Systems
mirror.waia.asn.au Western Australian Internet Association

Also (East coast):-
http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/linux/debian/
http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/
http://mirror.optus.net/debian/

For more see:-
http://www.debian.org/mirror/sponsors

<snipped>

If none of the above solve your problem, please post:-
/etc/apt/sources.list

Kind regards

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks

Camaleón 03-16-2012 05:29 PM

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:38:57 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Recently, I have been getting an error message both from an update
> manager applet, and, in checking for system updates.
>
> The error message is:
>
> "
> An internal error has occured and the operation has been aborted. Error
> message:
> Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
> 404 Not Found [IP: 199.6.12.70 80]
> , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
> "
>
> Please advise how to overcome this error.

Mmm, yes... that URI fails regadless the server that serves the file:

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=C wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
--2012-03-16 19:22:51-- http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
Resolving http.us.debian.org... 199.6.12.70, 35.9.37.225, 64.50.233.100, ...
Connecting to http.us.debian.org|199.6.12.70|:80... connected.
2012-03-16 19:22:51 ERROR 404: Not Found.

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=C wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
--2012-03-16 19:24:05-- http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
Resolving http.us.debian.org... 35.9.37.225, 64.50.233.100, 64.50.236.52, ...
Connecting to http.us.debian.org|35.9.37.225|:80... connected.
2012-03-16 19:24:05 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Let's manually browse the repository:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/main/source/

The file "Sources.gz" is there.

> I have tried to change the repository settings using Synaptic ->
> Repositories -> Debian Software -> Download From but it appears to not
> overcome the probem.

Then check your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Bret Busby 03-17-2012 05:38 AM

[...]

The sources.list file is listed below.

"
:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
Binary-1 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD Binary-1
20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
"

That is how it was set up by the initial installation.

Scott Ferguson 03-17-2012 06:46 AM

On 17/03/12 17:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snipped>

> Hello.
>
> The sources.list file is listed below.
>
> "
> :~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
> Binary-1 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD Binary-1
> 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main
>
> # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> "
>
> That is how it was set up by the initial installation.

If you'd installed using the expert mode you'd've been asked your region
and given a list of local mirrors to choose from. No matter.

I replaced a sources.list on one of my boxes with yours - tested fine.
NOTE: I commented out deb-src, you only need those if you're building
from source.
==============tested as working=============
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
# deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
# deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

It could be a problem with the dns you're using - either use another dns
(edit /etc/resolv.conf), or add the following addresses to your /etc/hosts.

http.us.debian.org 128.30.2.36
security.debian.org 128.101.240.212
ftp.au.debian.org 150.203.164.37

It could also be the mirror is being updated - check with your browser,
there'll be a note warning of an upgrade in process if that's the case.
If it's being upgraded, choose another mirror.

<snipped>

Kind regards

Lisi 03-17-2012 07:21 AM

On Saturday 17 March 2012 07:46:47 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 17/03/12 17:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > The sources.list file is listed below.
> >
> > "
> >
> > :~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > #
> >
> > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
> > Binary-1 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main
> >
> > deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD Binary-1
> > 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main
> >
> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> >
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> > deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main
> >
> > # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> > deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> > deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> > "
> >
> > That is how it was set up by the initial installation.
>
> If you'd installed using the expert mode you'd've been asked your region
> and given a list of local mirrors to choose from. No matter.
>
> I replaced a sources.list on one of my boxes with yours - tested fine.
> NOTE: I commented out deb-src, you only need those if you're building
> from source.
> ==============tested as working=============
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> # deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> # deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main
>
> # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
>
> It could be a problem with the dns you're using - either use another dns
> (edit /etc/resolv.conf), or add the following addresses to your /etc/hosts.
>
> http.us.debian.org 128.30.2.36
> security.debian.org 128.101.240.212
> ftp.au.debian.org 150.203.164.37
>
> It could also be the mirror is being updated - check with your browser,
> there'll be a note warning of an upgrade in process if that's the case.
> If it's being upgraded, choose another mirror.

Hello, Scott,

The sources.list used by Bret has one of the CD entries not commented out.
This you have not included in the sources.list as used by you. Might this
have caused a problem? I confess to not seeing how, but it is an anomaly in
the sources.list.

Lisi

Keith McKenzie 03-17-2012 09:00 AM

Problem with Update repository

The sources.list used by Bret has one of the CD entries not commented out.
This you have not included in the sources.list as used by you. Might this
have caused a problem? I confess to not seeing how, but it is an anomaly in
the sources.list.

Lisi

I see where you are coming from; yes, I believe local has preference
over external sources.

Comment out the cd entry & try again.

Archive: 4F6460C9.6010907@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F6460C9.6010907@gmail.com

Keith McKenzie 03-17-2012 09:08 AM

Problem with Update repository

Why I made my suggestion. :)

In the past, have installed from live media & not been able to access
external repositories because of the cdrom line in sources.list.

Archive: 4F646281.1090908@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F646281.1090908@gmail.com

Scott Ferguson 03-17-2012 09:33 AM

On 17/03/12 19:21, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 17 March 2012 07:46:47 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 17/03/12 17:38, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

> Hello, Scott,
>
> The sources.list used by Bret has one of the CD entries not commented out.
> This you have not included in the sources.list as used by you. Might this
> have caused a problem? I confess to not seeing how, but it is an anomaly in
> the sources.list.
>
> Lisi

Good point - I forgot to add the line back (I have a local mirror so
don't use CDs).
However it wouldn't cause the problem he described, which was a failure
to find a particular file in the *online* repository. My *guess* is the
file his system was looking for was no longer there - apt-get update
*should* have fixed that.

I just thought it strange that he should be getting served a different
IP address to what I get. Possibly that's his ISP's DNS cache.

CDROM/DVDs in the sources.list are ignored if the online repositories
are later versions

Kind regards

Scott Ferguson 03-17-2012 10:02 AM

On 17/03/12 21:08, Keith McKenzie wrote:
> Why I made my suggestion. :)
>
> In the past, have installed from live media & not been able to access
> external repositories because of the cdrom line in sources.list.

I'm unable to duplicate your experience with Squeeze - all I get (if I
ask for a package which doesn't have a later version online) is a prompt
to insert the CDROM.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-