Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default Problem with Update repository

On Sb, 17 mar 12, 21:33:30, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> I just thought it strange that he should be getting served a different
> IP address to what I get. Possibly that's his ISP's DNS cache.

No, it's probably just Round-robin DNS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_dns

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 24/03/12 07:41, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 17 mar 12, 21:33:30, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> I just thought it strange that he should be getting served a different
>> IP address to what I get. Possibly that's his ISP's DNS cache.
>
> No, it's probably just Round-robin DNS
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_dns

It's very unlikely to be the cause of the problem. (and yes, round-robin
is used there).

The 3 addresses being served at the time of Bret's problem didn't
include the one he was getting the *404 error* from. If his problem
wasn't DNS based he'd just get a different address on the next attempt -
he kept getting the same address. Not one of the addresses I was getting
at the same time, using the same root DNS he 'should' have been sourcing
(thought probably indirectly depending on his setup and ISP).
I got 404s from that address at that time also - perhaps that's why the
DNS weren't handing out that address then. (caching is one of the
problems with using round robin DNS for public resources)

It would appear probable that his problem, now resolved, was more to do
with how DNS caching was being handled by his Smoothwall. I can't rule
out peering arrangements with his ISP, or their DNS caching, but I note
that Bret is replacing his Smoothwall setup.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Bret Busby

[...]

Actually...

Slight correction - I haven't used Smoothwall Express for about a year,
now.

I have been using Firestarter (which, unfortunately, appears to now be
unsupported, and, abandoned by developers and maintainers).

I thgink that the Debian Project term for the status of Firestarter,
now, is "orphaned".

But, anyway, it has been Firestarter that I have been using, not
Smoothwall.

That is behind the firewall that is in the ADSL modem/router. I do not
know what that firewall is.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992
.................................................. ..

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1203241302270.10544@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1203241302270.10544@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net

Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 24/03/12 16:06, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>

>> On 24/03/12 07:41, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>> On Sb, 17 mar 12, 21:33:30, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snipped>

> Actually...
>
> Slight correction - I haven't used Smoothwall Express for about a year,
> now.

My mistake - I read too much into the timing of your post to
debian-firewalls.

> I have been using Firestarter (which, unfortunately, appears to now be
> unsupported, and, abandoned by developers and maintainers).
>
> I thgink that the Debian Project term for the status of Firestarter,
> now, is "orphaned".
>
> But, anyway, it has been Firestarter that I have been using, not
> Smoothwall.

Firestarter just creates rules for iptables whereas Smoothwall includes
a caching DNS server (I haven't used it for some years, I use IPCop
instead). Your modem/router may include a caching DNS server, your ISP will.

> That is behind the firewall that is in the ADSL modem/router. I do not
> know what that firewall is.

As Andrei pointed out - the mirror you were trying to use is one served
by a DNS round-robin. So if repeated requests to
http://http.us.debian.org or ftp.us.debian.org keep getting the same IP
address then you're probably being served by a (possibly stale) DNS cache.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 24 mar 12, 12:55:55, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 24/03/12 07:41, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >
> > No, it's probably just Round-robin DNS
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_dns
>
> It's very unlikely to be the cause of the problem. (and yes, round-robin
> is used there).
>
> The 3 addresses being served at the time of Bret's problem didn't
> include the one he was getting the *404 error* from. If his problem
> wasn't DNS based he'd just get a different address on the next attempt -
> he kept getting the same address. Not one of the addresses I was getting
> at the same time, using the same root DNS he 'should' have been sourcing
> (thought probably indirectly depending on his setup and ISP).
> I got 404s from that address at that time also - perhaps that's why the
> DNS weren't handing out that address then. (caching is one of the
> problems with using round robin DNS for public resources)
>
> It would appear probable that his problem, now resolved, was more to do
> with how DNS caching was being handled by his Smoothwall. I can't rule
> out peering arrangements with his ISP, or their DNS caching, but I note
> that Bret is replacing his Smoothwall setup.

Sorry, I should probably not be replying until I have enough time to
read thoroughly and not waste your (or others') time like this.

Kind regards,
Andrei