Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Bruno Costacurta

Default Boot problem : Operating System not found (was : how to make it verbose ?)

..

Another thing you can test is manually booting your Debian system from
GRUB2 boot menu by reaching the command line. This way if you're lucky
any error you get will be printed on the screen.

..

Indeed you're right.
'Operating System not found' is displayed once boot via GRUB command line.
I suppose this is an interesting info.
What happened ?
How to correct this ?

I check the UUID (via GRUB2 -> ls) it is identical as the one
specified in the GRUB parameters.

Thanks for help.
Bruno

--
Linux Counter # 353844
https://linuxcounter.net/user/353844.html

Archive: 20120315195539.Horde.ubQpEL5-3oNPYjsrsPR3yAA@webmail.costacurta.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120315195539.Horde.ubQpEL5-3oNPYjsrsPR3yAA@webmail.costacurta.org

Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Bruno Costacurta <techie@costacurta.org> wrote:

>> Another thing you can test is manually booting your Debian system from
>> GRUB2 boot menu by reaching the command line. This way if you're lucky
>> any error you get will be printed on the screen.
>
> Indeed you're right.
> 'Operating System not found' is displayed once boot via GRUB command line.
> I suppose this is an interesting info.
> What happened ?
> How to correct this ?
>
> I check the UUID (via GRUB2 -> ls) it is identical as the one specified in
> the GRUB parameters.

What's the output of bootinfoscript?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/files/bootinfoscript/

Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:55:39 +0100, Bruno Costacurta wrote:

> ..
>> Another thing you can test is manually booting your Debian system from
>> GRUB2 boot menu by reaching the command line. This way if you're lucky
>> any error you get will be printed on the screen.
> ..
>
> Indeed you're right.
> 'Operating System not found' is displayed once boot via GRUB command
> line. I suppose this is an interesting info. What happened ?
> How to correct this ?

I don't know what's going on, but I would try to manually boot the Debian
kernel from GRUB2 console. As you're using GRUB2 from Ubuntu, you could
try these steps:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Boot_a_Specific_Kernel_Manually

> I check the UUID (via GRUB2 -> ls) it is identical as the one specified
> in the GRUB parameters.

Maybe what can't find is the root disk/partition (hdx,x).

Besides, it can be an error coming from GRUB2 itself, that's why I still
suggest that you try to boot your Debian system from SuperGrub2Disk which
is distribution-unaware.

As a side note, when using a multi-boot configuration I prefer to install
the bootloader of every operating system inside its own partition,
whether possible (windows does not allow this, I guess, it puts its NT
loader on the MBR we like it or not). But on linux and bsd systems you
can install both, Ubuntu and Debian, and each of them with their own
GRUB2.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón