Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Claudius Hubig

Default CC-ing & gmane (was: QuickCam Orbit AF Pan/Tilt Broken in Sid)

Hello Camaleón,

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:08:00 -0700, Mike Alborn wrote:
> > Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.
>
> I can't CC, sorry :-(

At least Claws-Mail supports an additional To: Header when posting
via Gmane.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4

Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:48:24 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:

> Hello Camaleón,
>
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:08:00 -0700, Mike Alborn wrote:
>> > Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.
>>
>> I can't CC, sorry :-(
>
> At least Claws-Mail supports an additional To: Header when posting via
> Gmane.

And also Thunderbird and I guess any other "usual" e-mail client.

But I'm using Pan (a dedicated newsreader) and it's a bit limited in this
regard (I can't also send attachments)... or maybe the limited it's me,
so if someone knows how to add a CC e-mail address within Pan I would be
more than glad to read the steps O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Walter Hurry

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:57:52 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:48:24 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:
>
>> Hello Camaleón,
>>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't CC, sorry :-(
>>
>> At least Claws-Mail supports an additional To: Header when posting via
>> Gmane.
>
> And also Thunderbird and I guess any other "usual" e-mail client.
>
> But I'm using Pan (a dedicated newsreader) and it's a bit limited in
> this regard (I can't also send attachments)... or maybe the limited it's
> me, so if someone knows how to add a CC e-mail address within Pan I
> would be more than glad to read the steps O:-)

I use Pan too, and (like you, I think) read the list exclusively via
Gmane.

But even if I could cc, I don't think I would. I regard it as
discourteous to seek help from a mailing list without even bothering to
subscribe to it.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:26:30 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

(...)

> But even if I could cc, I don't think I would. I regard it as
> discourteous to seek help from a mailing list without even bothering to
> subscribe to it.

Agree with that :-)

But I have to say that I'm also in the role of the "sporadic user" in
another mailing lists (for instance: Pan, Mutt, linuxwireless...) where I
have posted once in a year (or even less) to get feedback for something
specific, so altough I never said "please, CC me" and I had to manually
watch for the responses, I can understand the user request.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:26, Walter Hurry <walterhurry@lavabit.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:57:52 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:48:24 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:

>>> At least Claws-Mail supports an additional To: Header when posting via
>>> Gmane.
>>
>> And also Thunderbird and I guess any other "usual" e-mail client.
>>
>> But I'm using Pan (a dedicated newsreader) and it's a bit limited in
>> this regard (I can't also send attachments)... or maybe the limited it's
>> me, so if someone knows how to add a CC e-mail address within Pan I
>> would be more than glad to read the steps O:-)
>
> I use Pan too, and (like you, I think) read the list exclusively via
> Gmane.
>
> But even if I could cc, I don't think I would. I regard it as
> discourteous to seek help from a mailing list without even bothering to
> subscribe to it.

I don't know about that. Sure, I subscribe to the most used ones, or that
I might start using more, but if I have a one off question... Although I
wouldn't ask for a CC, I would check the archives. And I have subscribed,
asked a question, gotten an answer and unsubscribed in some cases -
just because gmane, google groups, etc piss me off with their interfaces.

I wish Google had never bought deja news...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 15 March 2012 18:26:30 Walter Hurry wrote:
> But even if I could cc, I don't think I would. I regard it as
> discourteous to seek help from a mailing list without even bothering to
> subscribe to it.

I saw a complaint on another list about people who subscribe, ask a question,
and then unsubscribe. It seems you can't win if you have a question to ask!

Lisi

Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:46:55 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> I don't know about that. Sure, I subscribe to the most used ones, or
> that I might start using more, but if I have a one off question...
> Although I wouldn't ask for a CC, I would check the archives. And I have
> subscribed, asked a question, gotten an answer and unsubscribed in some
> cases - just because gmane, google groups, etc piss me off with their
> interfaces.
>
> I wish Google had never bought deja news...

What Gmane interface are you referring to?

I'm only aware about its web form mail to send posts but I rarely use
that, I prefer by far a newsreader.

OTOH, most (95%?) of the lists I have used don't require a subscription,
with exceptions, of course (e.g., HylaFAX, IIRC).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Walter Hurry

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:32:39 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:46:55 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>
>> I don't know about that. Sure, I subscribe to the most used ones, or
>> that I might start using more, but if I have a one off question...
>> Although I wouldn't ask for a CC, I would check the archives. And I
>> have subscribed, asked a question, gotten an answer and unsubscribed in
>> some cases - just because gmane, google groups, etc piss me off with
>> their interfaces.
>>
>> I wish Google had never bought deja news...
>
> What Gmane interface are you referring to?
>
> I'm only aware about its web form mail to send posts but I rarely use
> that, I prefer by far a newsreader.
>
> OTOH, most (95%?) of the lists I have used don't require a subscription,
> with exceptions, of course (e.g., HylaFAX, IIRC).

The gmane web interfaces are at (for example):

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user

I much prefer to use Pan though.