Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Mike Alborn

Default QuickCam Orbit AF Pan/Tilt Broken in Sid

Hi all,
I have a Logitech QuickCam Orbit AF (USB ID 046d:0994). The Pan/Tilt controls work fine under Debian Squeeze, but they fail under Debian Sid.
When I plug in the camera, udev runs uvcdynctrl to load the pan/tilt controls into the driver. On Debian Squeeze, this works OK, but here is what happens on Debian Sid:

Executing command: 'uvcdynctrl -d /dev/video0 --addctrl=046d:0994'[libwebcam] Unsupported V4L2_CID_EXPOSURE_AUTO control with a non-contiguous** range of choice IDs found
[libwebcam] Invalid or unsupported V4L2 control encountered: ctrl_id = 0x009A0901, name = 'Exposure, Auto'checking dir: /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data*found dir: 046d*found: /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml*
Parsing: /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml*Importing dynamic controls from file /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml.ERROR: Unable to import dynamic controls: Invalid device or device cannot be opened. (Code: 5)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: device 'video0' skipped because the driver 'uvcvideo' behind it does not seem to support dynamic controls.
In an attempt to narrow down the problem, I rebooted my machine to the Squeeze kernel (2.6.32-5-686-bigmem), and the error message changed:

Importing dynamic controls from file /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml./usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Pan (relative)' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Tilt (relative)' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Pan Reset' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Tilt Reset' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Pan/tilt Reset' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Focus' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'LED1 Mode' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'LED1 Frequency' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Disable video processing' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: video0: unable to map 'Raw bits per pixel' control. ioctl(UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) failed with return value -1 (error 22: Invalid argument)

I downgraded libwebcam0, uvcdynctrl, and uvcdynctrl-data to the versions in Squeeze. At this point the pan/tilt controls started working OK. When I rebooted back to the current Sid kernel (3.2.0-2-686-pae), I got the original error again. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the kernel, but I wanted to try asking here before filing a bug report.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any thoughts on what I should try next? I can't use 2.6.32 for day-to-day operations, so I'm kind of stuck in a bind.
Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Cheers,Mike.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:08:00 -0700, Mike Alborn wrote:

> I have a Logitech QuickCam Orbit AF (USB ID 046d:0994). The Pan/Tilt
> controls work fine under Debian Squeeze, but they fail under Debian Sid.
>
> When I plug in the camera, udev runs uvcdynctrl to load the pan/tilt
> controls into the driver. On Debian Squeeze, this works OK, but here is
> what happens on Debian Sid:
>
> Executing command: 'uvcdynctrl -d /dev/video0 --addctrl=046d:0994'
> [libwebcam] Unsupported V4L2_CID_EXPOSURE_AUTO control with a
> non-contiguous
> range of choice IDs found

(...)

> ERROR: Unable to import dynamic controls: Invalid device or device
> cannot be opened. (Code: 5)
> /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: device 'video0'
> skipped because the driver 'uvcvideo' behind it does not seem to support
> dynamic controls.

(...)

> I downgraded libwebcam0, uvcdynctrl, and uvcdynctrl-data to the versions
> in Squeeze. At this point the pan/tilt controls started working OK. When
> I rebooted back to the current Sid kernel (3.2.0-2-686-pae), I got the
> original error again. This leads me to believe there is a problem with
> the kernel, but I wanted to try asking here before filing a bug report.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any thoughts on what I should
> try next? I can't use 2.6.32 for day-to-day operations, so I'm kind of
> stuck in a bind.

Given that an older version of the package works and the fact there is
more people experiencing a similar problem, to me looks like it can be a
bug, indeed. I would report it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libwebcam/+bug/902272
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=27524

> Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

I can't CC, sorry :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón