-   -   OT chromium/chrome sandbox (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/644677-ot-chromium-chrome-sandbox.html)

Dan 03-14-2012 06:09 PM

OT chromium/chrome sandbox

Hi,

I installed chrome and also new version of chromium, but I installed
both only for a single user that I only use to use chrome/chromium. I
installed chrome in /home/user/opt. Usually I do that with programs
that I download from internet.

Interestingly I noticed that chrome/chromium use some kind of sandbox
to isolate the process that renders the page. That is a good idea for
security purposes, but it requires to the executable chrome-sandbox to
have suid root access. I do not understand that. How about if there is
a bug in chrome-sandbox? Then some malicious code could get root
access which is even worse.

I am running chrome with the option --no-sandbox, and I didn't set the
root suid to chrome-sandbox. Do you think that this is a good idea?

Best,
Dan