-   -   does anyone know where to get the latest aacraid module for squeeze latest version x86 ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/644496-does-anyone-know-where-get-latest-aacraid-module-squeeze-latest-version-x86.html)

Joey L 03-14-2012 11:56 AM

does anyone know where to get the latest aacraid module for squeeze latest version x86 ?

I am running an ibm x3650 7979 ServRaid 8K controller that comes with the x3650
I would like to get the latest version of aacraid module.
This looks to be my issue - i get a lot of aacraid hanging errors
after the install and the login screen seems to hang.

I would like :
1. get the latest version - seems to hang with the current version of squeeze.
2. how can i install it during the installaiton process of sqeeze

thanks
mjh

Camaleón 03-14-2012 02:39 PM

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:56:58 -0400, Joey L wrote:

> I am running an ibm x3650 7979 ServRaid 8K controller that comes with
> the x3650 I would like to get the latest version of aacraid module. This
> looks to be my issue - i get a lot of aacraid hanging errors after the
> install and the login screen seems to hang.

Have you reported it?

> I would like :
> 1. get the latest version - seems to hang with the current version of
> squeeze.
> 2. how can i install it during the installaiton process of sqeeze

AFAIK, "aacraid" it's included in the kernel, so the latest kernel you
have the latest version for "aacraid" you get.

Another option could be using Adaptec's own implementation but its
availability will depend on the card's manufacturer, you can check if
they provide any driver for the card that you can compile and load at
installation time (there's a menu entry in the menu that allows loading
external drivers).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Joey L 03-14-2012 03:27 PM

does anyone know where to get the latest aacraid module for squeeze latest version x86 ?

I would like to check the manufacture website..i know it is adaptec.
I just do not know which card it is - they call it something different
on their site.
Also need the steps to install

Camaleón 03-14-2012 03:53 PM

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:27:18 -0400, Joey L wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
>> AFAIK, "aacraid" it's included in the kernel, so the latest kernel you
>> have the latest version for "aacraid" you get.
>>
>> Another option could be using Adaptec's own implementation but its
>> availability will depend on the card's manufacturer, you can check if
>> they provide any driver for the card that you can compile and load at
>> installation time (there's a menu entry in the menu that allows loading
>> external drivers).

> I would like to check the manufacture website..i know it is adaptec. I
> just do not know which card it is - they call it something different on
> their site.

"lspci -v | grep -i adaptec" will tell.

Anyway, more that looking into Adaptec's site I would make a search at
the IBM pages.

> Also need the steps to install

What you demand is far from easy :-), not the installation itself but
having to deal with hard disk controller drivers.

You have to decide first what path to follow: install an updated kernel,
compile an updated driver for your current kernel, getting a pre-made
module from IBM or adaptec site... then decide when to install it (at
install time or once the system has been installed) and finally run your
own tests to see if all works as expected.

Needless to say that these operations can fail and thus lose your data
(or make it unaccesible) so before starting to play with the raid driver
make a full backup of the data available on the array(s). It would be
better to have no data on the arrays at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón