-   -   vsftp problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/644269-vsftp-problems.html)

Gary Roach 03-13-2012 05:49 PM

vsftp problems

Hi

Setting up vsftp should be a snap. Just follow the howto. Right. With
listen=YES in the .conf file and try to ftp the server from another
system on my network, I get:

On the server:

root@xxxxx2:/etc# service vsftpd start

Started FTP server: vsftpd

Note: ps xaf doesn't show vsftpd to be running

On the client

root@xxxxxx1:/etc# ftp xxxxxx2

Connected to xxxxxx2.home.

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

ftp>

with listen=NO an attempt to restart on the server resulted in the
following:

root@/xxxxx2: /etc# service vsftpd restart

Stopping FTP server: No /usr/bin/vsftpd found running. None killed.

vsftpd.

/etc/vsftpd.conf: listen disabled - service will not start.

In short neither inet.d start or standalone start seems to work. The
.conf file is right out of the documentation.

These are both Debian Squeeze systems that are up to date.

Help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R

Jon Dowland 03-14-2012 02:01 PM

vsftp problems

Try running /usr/sbin/vsftpd by hand (as root) from a session on your
server. Does it print any diagnostic output?

Archive: 4F60B2BD.2070508@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F60B2BD.2070508@debian.org

Camaleón 03-14-2012 04:55 PM

vsftp problems

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:49:43 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> Hi

Hi... please, avoid using html :-)

> Setting up vsftp should be a snap. Just follow the howto. Right. With
> listen=YES in the .conf file and try to ftp the server from another
> system on my network, I get:
>
> On the server:
> root@xxxxx2:/etc# service vsftpd start
> Started FTP server: vsftpd
>
> Note: ps xaf doesn't show vsftpd to be running

Maybe this:

> On the client
>
> root@xxxxxx1:/etc# ftp xxxxxx2
> Connected to xxxxxx2.home.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> ftp>

(...)

Mmm, are you using the sparc package?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 03-15-2012 01:43 PM

vsftp problems

El 2012-03-14 a las 12:43 -0700, Gary Roach escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> On the client
>>>
>>> root@xxxxxx1:/etc# ftp xxxxxx2
>>> Connected to xxxxxx2.home.
>>> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>>> ftp>
>>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Mmm, are you using the sparc package?

> Sorry about the html. I have icedove set to auto detect. Not sure what
> that means for send.

No prob.

That means that Icedove will use the default sending format setting
defined for your account, which by default is "html". You need to
manually toggle "text format" at message composing when you want to get
text based e-mails :-)

> I am not using the sparc package, just standard Debian Linux squeeze
> distribution

Mmm, then I would try one of these suggestions and see how it goes:

Troubleshooting vsftp problem – common problems related to vsftp
http://myliteraturetechlife.com/troubleshooting-vsftp-problem-common-problems-related-to-vsftp/

Also, there is a plethora of links pointing to that error message in
Google, maybe you find something useful in here:

http://goo.gl/JdaZk

(sorry for using a shortener service but it was a long URI :-/)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Peter Easthope 03-15-2012 02:15 PM

vsftp problems

Icedove will use the default sending format setting
defined for your account, which by default is "html".

Where can the default be changed to text?

You need to
manually toggle "text format" at message composing when you want to get
text based e-mails

I've not found such a switch in Account Settings or in Preferences.
Where is it?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/"