Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Chris Bannister

Default X-server problem

No need to CC me, I am subscribed.

Note: I am running Wheezy, but I am fairly sure this applies to Squeeze.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:51:23AM +0100, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:26:53PM +0100, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > i am currenttly running debian 6.0 with 2.6.32-5-486 on CF-27 (toughbook)
> > > 300MHz Pentium II with 128MB RAM.
> > >
> > > I dont need a desktop (gnome, kde, etc) but would like to have X-server running.
> >
> > Fine. You should consider using a window manager like fvwm though.
> i intend to, but not fvwm, i prefer evilwm. But first i wanted to make sure
> X is running.

> > > X starts for root, but not for non-root user
> > > user is in groups: users, tty, audio, video
> > ^^^
> > Weird, a normal user isn't in that group by default.
> you are right, i put the user in the group (it did not helped) ;-)
> >
> > > /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config is set to
> > > allowed_users=anybody
> >
> > Mmmm, mine is set to:
> > allowed_users=console
> this did not helped too ;-)

But its back to "allowed_users=console", right?

> i am starting from scratch - reinstalled X + default configuration

Mmmm, unfortunately that won't overide any config files you may have
changed.

> > How are you starting X? We need to know the exact commands.
> i have a xinit line in my .profile and exec /.../evilwm in .xinitrc
> usual configuration, that always worked (at least at 5 different PCs)
> and here i am getting
> X: user not authorized to run the X server

What version of Debian were you running when it last worked?

Things *have* changed. For example, .xinitrc has been replaced with an
.xsessionrc, also you no longer need any "exec /.../evilwm" stuff. (see
below)

errors go in to .xsession-errors - anything in there?

So you know about checking "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"?

> and after playing around with files, permissions i got:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

I wouldn't play around with file permissions, unless you are correcting
them.

> > First of all, Don't Panic! The good thing about Debian is, it is
> > fixable.
> i know, thats why i like it so much

Excellent! You'll be half way there then.

> > Can you remember the changes you have done?
> mostly, aber i set everything to default configurations, just to
> be sure

The error "X: user not authorized to run the X server" makes me a bit
doubtful, although ...

Right, first comment out any lines you have added to .profile

2nd - rename .xinitrc to .xsessionrc

3rd - comment out any exec stuff in your .xsessionrc

Example
=======
All I have is:
tal% less .xsessionrc
/home/chrisb/background.sh &

xterm -fn 10x20 -xrm "XTerm.vt100.background: #CCA8AA" -xrm
"XTerm.vt100.foreground: blue" -geom 50x25 &

And believe it or not fvwm starts ... because

root@tal:~# ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Mar 14 2011 /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/fvwm2

Have a look at "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup"

Hopefully you haven't altered any files under /etc/X11/, right?

Is this enough to go on?

Remember, "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" is your friend.

Don't hesitate to post back if you are stuck.

Good luck.

P.S. We still haven't considered your graphics card yet, so there may
still be problems. Again - Don't Panic!

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
"Juergen F. Pennings"

Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:

> /etc/inittab is the same as on my working debian squeeze machine:
>
> ***
This looks OK for me. You should find out why the X-Server starts on tty0
and not on tty7. Maybe that is the problem, but it's only a guess. Does
anybody here in this Forum know where this can be configured?

--
Regards from Moehnesee

Jürgen

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Andriy Samsonyuk

> > i am starting from scratch - reinstalled X + default configuration
>
> Mmmm, unfortunately that won't overide any config files you may have
> changed.
since the config files changed by me were in /etc/X11/ i simply removed
the directory before installing xorg for the second time ;-)

> What version of Debian were you running when it last worked?
i am running debian 6.0 with bckport kernel 2.6.39 on the other laptop,
but i started with 2.6.32 and its worked

> Things *have* changed. For example, .xinitrc has been replaced with an
> .xsessionrc, also you no longer need any "exec /.../evilwm" stuff. (see
> below)
good to know! i've missed it

> So you know about checking "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"?
nothing special there. No problems with graphic card.

> The error "X: user not authorized to run the X server" makes me a bit
> doubtful, although ...
meanwhile i mke2fs the disk and debootstrapped debian squeeze i386 again.
just to be sure i am starting from scratch:

1) installing basic system
2) installing linux-image-2.6.32 and grub
3) installing xorg evilwm and some other progs like vim, less etc.
4) creating a new user
5) > root@tal:~# ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Mar 14 2011 /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/fvwm2
in my case it points to /usr/bin/evilwm
as it should
6) dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
> But its back to "allowed_users=console", right?
yes now its back to "allowed_users=console"
7) adding xinit line to /home/user/.profile
8) creating .xsessionrc with
xterm -fn 10x20 &
line in it

after user login ->
"X: user not authorized to run the X server"
no ~/.xsession-errors
no /var/log/Xorg.0.log

root# xinit
-> everything works fine

what am i missing?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Keith McKenzie

On 15/03/12 16:03, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:

after user login ->
"X: user not authorized to run the X server"
no ~/.xsession-errors
no /var/log/Xorg.0.log

root# xinit
-> everything works fine

what am i missing?

I usually run startx as a user to get it up & running; I'm puzzled by
your insistence on 'xinit'.

Archive: 4F62347D.1060907@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F62347D.1060907@gmail.com

Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Andriy Samsonyuk

> I usually run startx as a user to get it up & running; I'm puzzled
> by your insistence on 'xinit'.
i tryed startx. I get more output:

hostname: Name or service not known
xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "$HOSTNAME:0" in "add" command

X: user not authorized...

Can someone tell me what is the difference between xinit and startx?

regards,

Andriy

--
You will be honored for contributing your time and skill to a worthy cause.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 15 mar 12, 23:35:22, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> > I usually run startx as a user to get it up & running; I'm puzzled
> > by your insistence on 'xinit'.
> i tryed startx. I get more output:
>
> hostname: Name or service not known
> xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "$HOSTNAME:0" in "add" command

What happens if you run 'hostname' by hand?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Andriy Samsonyuk

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 01:17:51AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 15 mar 12, 23:35:22, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> > > I usually run startx as a user to get it up & running; I'm puzzled
> > > by your insistence on 'xinit'.
> > i tryed startx. I get more output:
> >
> > hostname: Name or service not known
> > xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "$HOSTNAME:0" in "add" command
>
> What happens if you run 'hostname' by hand?
i get the correct $HOSTNAME

at the moment i have a feeling, that the problem is not in the X server,
but in the wrong configuration of debian by debootstrap.
Wrong permissions, devices or smth.

was not able to google any solution yet :-(

--
Always the dullness of the fool is the whetstone of the wits.
-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Andriy Samsonyuk

Eureka!
the problem was in wrongly mounted /var and /usr partitions.
was not so easy to find :-(

Thanx for your help!

--
You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 16 mar 12, 13:48:20, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> Eureka!
> the problem was in wrongly mounted /var and /usr partitions.
> was not so easy to find :-(

Would you care to expand a bit? Might help others in your situation.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Andriy Samsonyuk

> Would you care to expand a bit? Might help others in your situation.
i will try ;-)
Since i debootstrapt my system and have different partitions for
/, swap, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home directories i had to set the mount
options in /etc/fstab manually.
The easiest way was to take an existing, working /etc/fstab file, which in
my case, since i am using lvm2 with labels on my other machine was:

***
LABEL=root / ext2 defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
LABEL=lv_usr /usr ext3 defaults,noatime,nodev 0 2
LABEL=lv_var /var ext3 defaults,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 2
LABEL=lv_tmp /tmp ext3 defaults,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 2
LABEL=lv_home /home ext2 defaults,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 2
***

i simply changed LABEL=lv_* with /dev/sda? for correct partitions.
As a result the partitions seemed to be mounted read only for the user.
And X crashed with different errors :-/
I still was able to write in /home and /tmp. But after changing the mount
options for the last 3 to rw,nosuid,nodev and rw,nodev for /usr
X works without problems. I am not sure which partition and which
option made the difference.

Anyway thanks for your help!

Andriy

--
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"--a strange complaint to come from
the mouths of people who have had to live.