Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Exim4: incoming Internet mail to internal mail server

I'm trying to configure Exim4 on Debian 6.04 for incoming mail only. Exim should accept all mail for domain "mydomain.example" from Internet and forward to another mail server (internal.existingdomain.example). How can I configure Exim4 to do that?

dc_eximconfig_configtype='satellite'
dc_other_hostnames='mydomain.example'
dc_local_interfaces='
dc_readhost='mail.mydomain.example'
dc_relay_domains='mydomain.example'
dc_minimaldns='true'
dc_relay_nets='
dc_smarthost='internal.existingdomain.example'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

Bottom part of a SMTP session:
rcpt to: <test@mydomain.example>
550 Unrouteable address

mydomain.example is not yet on public DNS, internal.existingdomain.example is on public DNS.

Thanks!

John

Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:54:01 +0100, johnb wrote:

> I'm trying to configure Exim4 on Debian 6.04 for incoming mail only.
> Exim should accept all mail for domain "mydomain.example" from Internet
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For that scenario be possible, "mydomain.example" has to be routeable and
accesible worldwide otherwise nobody would be able to exchange messages
with your host but from your own local network.

> and forward to another mail server (internal.existingdomain.example).
> How can I configure Exim4 to do that?

(...)

I think you want a "smarthost" setup.

> Bottom part of a SMTP session:
> rcpt to: <test@mydomain.example>
> 550 Unrouteable address

And I guess it's right. Exim is trying to perform a lookup for the domain
and fails.

What's the output of "host -t mx mydomain.example"?

> mydomain.example is not yet on public DNS,
> internal.existingdomain.example is on public DNS.

That can be the problem...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón