Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default OT Apache Open Office

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 04:09, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:
> Look at the referenced bug reports, there are attachments to the reports showing
> what has happened to my templates & archived docs. others have noticed this also.

Thanks, I will start enumerating the differences between OpenOffice
and LibreOffice here:
http://dotancohen.com/eng/difference_openoffice_libreoffice.html

Please contact me with any additions or corrections, and I will start
trolling both the OOo and LO mailing list for other differences.

Thanks.

> *To LO devs credit they patched v3.5.x? * so that the double lines are no longer
> so large that they hide data in the cells for archived docs. *Newest bug is for
> the double line style not being a close representation of previous bouble line
> style, e.g. new docs with tables using that style will not match archived docs
> with tables with that style.
>
> As far as maintaining a page with the differences I think it is worth watching how
> the new feature in LO concerning table,border line styles plays out. Not only did
> it break backwards compatibility in LO, it departs how AOO *renders those line
> styles also. AOO does not render the double line style created in LO 3.4.x &
> later(they are blank), have not tested other table line styles

As that is a primary use case for you, I would appreciate it if your
could be tasked with that particular difference. Just let me know
what, if anything, changes.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Jon Dowland

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:36:58PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks, I will start enumerating the differences between OpenOffice and
> LibreOffice here:
> http://dotancohen.com/eng/difference_openoffice_libreoffice.html

That's going to be one hell of a moving target. What audience are you trying
to serve with that page?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 16:45, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:36:58PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Thanks, I will start enumerating the differences between OpenOffice and
>> LibreOffice here:
>> http://dotancohen.com/eng/difference_openoffice_libreoffice.html
>
> That's going to be one hell of a moving target.

That is why I ask for the community's help. I don't expect to notice
all the differences, but when major disparities of functionality are
identified, I would like to have them enumerated in an easy-to-find
resource. Hence the page.

>*What audience are you trying
> to serve with that page?

Two audiences:
1) Those who are deciding between the two suites.
2) Those who are having trouble with a specific aspect of one of the
suites, which may be addressed in the other.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 16:45, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:36:58PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Thanks, I will start enumerating the differences between OpenOffice and
>>> LibreOffice here:
>>> http://dotancohen.com/eng/difference_openoffice_libreoffice.html
>>
>> That's going to be one hell of a moving target.
>
> That is why I ask for the community's help. I don't expect to notice
> all the differences, but when major disparities of functionality are
> identified, I would like to have them enumerated in an easy-to-find
> resource. Hence the page.
>

>>*What audience are you trying
>> to serve with that page?
>>

> Two audiences:
> 1) Those who are deciding between the two suites.
> 2) Those who are having trouble with a specific aspect of one of the
> suites, which may be addressed in the other.

I'd also hope:

3.) LibreOffice developers who would like an overview of areas where
LO is perhaps deficient compared to OOo, and are interested in
correcting those issues.

--
Chris