Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

Default force-confmiss does not work

Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall smb.conf file as it came with samba-common.

However, even when I reinstall samba-common (into which it seems to
appear) with the force-confmiss option, it won't get reinstlled:

# apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" --reinstall install samba-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up samba-common (2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze6) ...
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/samba/smb.conf
chmod: cannot access `/etc/samba/smb.conf': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing samba-common (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
samba-common

is this a problem of samba-common package?
How to get the file reinstalled, amongst purging and reinstalling it?

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]

Archive: 20120311163141.GA7577@fantomas.sk">http://lists.debian.org/20120311163141.GA7577@fantomas.sk

Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-03-11 17:31 +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> I'm trying to reinstall smb.conf file as it came with samba-common.
>
> However, even when I reinstall samba-common (into which it seems to
> appear) with the force-confmiss option, it won't get reinstlled:

This happens because the file /etc/samba/smb.conf is managed with ucf(1)
and not shipped in the package, hence dpkg does not know about it.

> is this a problem of samba-common package?

No.

> How to get the file reinstalled, amongst purging and reinstalling it?

Set the UCF_FORCE_CONFFMISS environment variable, e.g.

# UCF_FORCE_CONFFMISS=1 apt-get --reinstall install samba-common

should do the trick.

Sven

Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:31:41 +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> I'm trying to reinstall smb.conf file as it came with samba-common.

(...)

Only that config file?

stt005:/usr/share/samba# locate smb.conf
/etc/samba/smb.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/smb.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/samba/smb.conf
/usr/share/samba/smb.conf.dapper
/usr/share/samba/smb.conf.etch
/usr/share/samba/smb.conf.gutsy
/var/lib/ucf/cache/:etc:samba:smb.conf

Maybe you can copy the file from "/usr/share/samba/smb.conf" and make the
required adjustments afterwards.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> I'm trying to reinstall smb.conf file as it came with samba-common.
>
> However, even when I reinstall samba-common (into which it seems to appear)
> with the force-confmiss option, it won't get reinstlled:
>
> # apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" --reinstall install
> samba-common
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree * * * Reading state information... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up samba-common (2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze6) ...
> Not replacing deleted config file /etc/samba/smb.conf
> chmod: cannot access `/etc/samba/smb.conf': No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing samba-common (--configure):
> *subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> configured to not write apport reports
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Errors were encountered while
> processing:
> *samba-common
>
> is this a problem of samba-common package?
> How to get the file reinstalled, amongst purging and reinstalling it?

It's because "/etc/samba/smb.conf" is installed by the postinst script
of samba-common. It's a copy of "/usr/share/samba/smb.conf".

Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> This happens because the file /etc/samba/smb.conf is managed with ucf(1)
> and not shipped in the package, hence dpkg does not know about it.

Thanks for explanation.
Is Debian leaving the old way of maintaining config files in favor of
ucf?

>> How to get the file reinstalled, amongst purging and reinstalling it?
>
> Set the UCF_FORCE_CONFFMISS environment variable, e.g.
>
> # UCF_FORCE_CONFFMISS=1 apt-get --reinstall install samba-common
>
> should do the trick.

Maybe dpkg should set this variable when it's called with confmiss
option... it kindof sucks finding out that documented way to
restore config file does not work.
Saving Private Ryan...
Private Ryan exists. Overwrite? (Y/N)

Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Ma, 13 mar 12, 14:19:56, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> Thanks for explanation.
> Is Debian leaving the old way of maintaining config files in favor of
> ucf?

As far as I can tell ucf makes sense only in some cases (see the
description of the package, it's quite informative).

> Maybe dpkg should set this variable when it's called with confmiss
> option... it kindof sucks finding out that documented way to
> restore config file does not work.

You could file a wishlist bug against dpkg.

Kind regards,
Andrei