Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
rcb

Default Mystery of journaled quotas

Dear linux gurus,

It took me some time to write this email... Lots of research and no answer.

I saw some guys with almost the same problem as me, but not quite the
same, which is:

After reading some tuto's, I've correctly installed non-journaled
quotas. Then, as you more smart guys must predict, I got the infamous
message:

"quotacheck: Your kernel probably supports journaled quota but you are
not using it. Consider switching to journaled quota to avoid running
quotacheck after an unclean shutdown."

Well, again all over google, I got some good advices from (basically this two):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014051&page=2
and
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-ispconfig-2-p4

And voilá, there the journaled quota from "aquota.user" was good and
working. But not the group quota. Thats fine for me, as I don't want
group quota.

$quotaoff -p /
group quota on / (/dev/disk/by-uuid/3aa1b641-608f) is off
user quota on / (/dev/disk/by-uuid/3aa1b641-608f) is on

But then, I got this error (1):
$quotacheck -avugm -f
quotacheck: WARNING - Quotafile //aquota.group was probably
truncated. Cannot save quota settings...
quotacheck: Scanning /dev/disk/by-uuid/3aa1b641-608f [/]

And this error (2):
$quotaon -g /
quotaon: Cannot find quota file on /
[/dev/disk/by-uuid/3aa1b641-608f-4e51-bc3e-7062cfda46d2] to turn
quotas on/off.

And this error during boot (3):

Turning on quotas... quotaon: Cannot find quota file on /
[/dev/disk/by-uuid/3aa1b641-608f] to turn quotas on/off
startpar: service(s) returned failure: quota ... failed! (in strong
ugly red letters).

---

So, some of you, for practical reasons, will argue that I have no
problems at all. After all, I don't NEED group quotas. But, I rather
have group quotas ON, or OFF, than giving me errors. I mean it, I want
it ON (or OFF).

I've tried to solve this by myself for a while now, and I came to
think I need help. My fstab is like this:

# cat /etc/fstab
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=3aa1b641-608f / ext3
errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jq fmt=vfsv0
0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=697dd437-3264 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

Files aquota.user and aquota.group was created in the same manner:

$touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
$chmod 600 /aquota.*

Also, this command worked well for aquota.user but now it does not
work for aquota.group:

$setquota -g poli 900000 1000000 90000 100000 /
setquota: Cannot find any quota file to work on.
setquota: Not all specified mountpoints are using quota.

$setquota -u student 900000 1000000 90000 100000 /
$

So there is the mystery? How can a double configuration (user and
group) made the same manner, to work only on one side?

Thanks any light.

Beco

#Linux Counter #201942

Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:32:09 -0300, rcb wrote:

(...)

> But then, I got this error (1):
> $quotacheck -avugm -f
> quotacheck: WARNING - Quotafile //aquota.group was probably truncated.
> Cannot save quota settings... quotacheck: Scanning
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/3aa1b641-608f [/]

(...)

As per:

/usr/share/doc/quota/README.Debian

You have to append "-c to create the files.

Anyway, maybe you missed some step or is that the order of the commands
matters:

http://www.oksima.biz/articles/53-linuxtips/203-journaled-quota-on-debian

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM
rcb

Dear Camelón,*
From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 15:54:37 +0000 (UTC)

(...)
> But then, I got this error (1):
> $quotacheck -avugm -f
> quotacheck: WARNING - *Quotafile //aquota.group was probably truncated.

(...)
As per:
/usr/share/doc/quota/README.Debian
You have to append "-c to create the files.
Anyway, maybe you missed some step or is that the order of the commands
matters:

http://www.oksima.biz/articles/53-linuxtips/203-journaled-quota-on-debian
Greetings,
--
Camaleón

You solved the case with this simple command:
(in my case, just to fix group quota)quotacheck -avgmcf
(in general for user and group)
quotacheck -avugmcf
I wonder why nobody told this in the foruns, even those you pointed!
Thanks! Have a nice weekend,
--
Beco#Linux Counter #201942