Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Alberto Fuentes

Default why MaxRequestsPerChild is defaulted to 0 in apache2 prefork default conf?

I didnt have time to checkout the ntp thing of one my latest questions
to answer that mail... but let me ask another unrelated question

in the prefork module, the MaxRequestsPerChild defaults to 0. I wonder
why such thing is done. The only reason to do so is to increase
performance with heavy loads but it carries a problem with it. If the
process start leaking for whatever reason, it will drag the server until
it runs out of memory and you can't even log in...

It does not look like a sane default from my point of view...

greets!
aL

Archive: 4F5A04D4.5030400@qindel.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F5A04D4.5030400@qindel.com

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:25:40 +0100, Alberto Fuentes wrote:

> I didnt have time to checkout the ntp thing of one my latest questions
> to answer that mail... but let me ask another unrelated question
>
> in the prefork module, the MaxRequestsPerChild defaults to 0. I wonder
> why such thing is done. The only reason to do so is to increase
> performance with heavy loads but it carries a problem with it. If the
> process start leaking for whatever reason, it will drag the server until
> it runs out of memory and you can't even log in...
>
> It does not look like a sane default from my point of view...

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mpm_common.html#maxrequestsperchild

***
Default Configuration

The default (compiled-in) value of this setting (10000) is used when no
MaxRequestsPerChild directive is present in the configuration. Many
default configurations provided with the server include
"MaxRequestsPerChild 0" as part of the default configuration.
***

I had no problems with that default which anyway, is easily tweakable.

Anyway, if you are curious on the reason for that setting I would ask in
"debian-apache" mailing list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-apache/

Greetings,

--