FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
 
Default synaptic bombs!

This is debian testing, with recent updates.

When starting synaptic, it explodes, with the following message:

"E: Unable to increase the size of the MMap as the limit of 8388608 bytes is already reached.

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Error occurred while processing python-event-dbg (NewFileDesc1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.cl.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_i18n_ Translation-en

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

"

Kjetil
--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."



George Orwell (1984)
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Brian
 
Default synaptic bombs!

On Fri 09 Mar 2012 at 07:09:07 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> This is debian testing, with recent updates.
>
> When starting synaptic, it explodes, with the following message:
>
> "E: Unable to increase the size of the MMap as the limit of 8388608 bytes
> is already reached.
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of
> APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
> E: Error occurred while processing python-event-dbg (NewFileDesc1)
> E: Problem with MergeList
> /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.cl.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_i18n_ Translation-en
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

The first few links seaching with 'Unable to increase the size of the
MMap as the limit' look useful. I wonder if 'apt-get autoclean' or
'apt-get clean' might restore normality.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120309132611.GM4889@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120309132611.GM4889@desktop
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
 
Default synaptic bombs!

see below.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 07:26, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri 09 Mar 2012 at 07:09:07 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:



> This is debian testing, with recent updates.

>

> When starting synaptic, it explodes, with the following message:

>

> "E: Unable to increase the size of the MMap as the limit of 8388608 bytes

> is already reached.

> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of

> APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)

> E: Error occurred while processing python-event-dbg (NewFileDesc1)

> E: Problem with MergeList

> /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.cl.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_i18n_ Translation-en

> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.



The first few links seaching with 'Unable to increase the size of the

MMap as the limit' look useful. I wonder if 'apt-get autoclean' or

'apt-get clean' might restore normality.


Thanks!

I rebooted the compuetr, and as the first thing to do when up did as you proposed.
Here is the result:

kjetil@kjetil:~$ apt-get clean

E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory
kjetil@kjetil:~$ apt-get autoclean
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)

E: Unable to lock the download directory
kjetil@kjetil:~$
*
and something strange: apt-get did _not_ ask for my password! ¿Why?

Kjetil




--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120309132611.GM4889@desktop





--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."



George Orwell (1984)
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Brian
 
Default synaptic bombs!

On Fri 09 Mar 2012 at 08:43:06 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> kjetil@kjetil:~$ apt-get clean

Log in as root (or use sudo) for this command to be successful.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120309144630.GP4889@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120309144630.GP4889@desktop
 
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Chris Davies
 
Default synaptic bombs!

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is debian testing, with recent updates.

> When starting synaptic, it explodes, with the following message:

> "E: Unable to increase the size of the MMap as the limit of 8388608 bytes
> is already reached.
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of
> APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)

This suggests you may have added a number of repositories over and above
the standard set. You can either reduce the number, or do what it suggests
and increase the mmap size. Paste the following five lines into a
terminal, as root:

cat >/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80cache-limit <<!
# Increase the cache limit from 8388608 bytes
#
APT::Cache-Limit "10000000";
!

Then run these two commands (also as root) and you should be able to
use synaptic again:

apt-get clean
apt-get update

Chris


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: kfkp29xsmf.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/kfkp29xsmf.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk
 
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Chris Davies
 
Default synaptic bombs!

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:
> I rebooted the compuetr [...]

You shouldn't need to do that.


> kjetil@kjetil:~$ apt-get clean
> E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13:
> Permission denied)

You need to run apt-get as root.


> and something strange: apt-get did _not_ ask for my password! ¿Why?

That's not a function of apt-get. It is a function of "su" or "sudo". Try
this:
sudo apt-get clean

or this:
su -c 'apt-get clean'

Chris


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: umkp29xsmf.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/umkp29xsmf.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk
 
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Camaleón
 
Default synaptic bombs!

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:09:07 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> This is debian testing, with recent updates.
>
> When starting synaptic, it explodes, with the following message:
>
> "E: Unable to increase the size of the MMap as the limit of 8388608
> bytes is already reached.
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of
> APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)

(...)

I wonder how can we know what's the current value set for the "APT::Cache-
Limit".

"apt-config dump | grep -i cache" displays nothing about this limit and
my "/var/cache/apt/" directory was 2.5 GiB of size (now 0 bytes because
it has been cleaned).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jjdavd$f1t$10@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jjdavd$f1t$10@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
 
Default synaptic bombs!

see below.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 08:46, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri 09 Mar 2012 at 08:43:06 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:



> kjetil@kjetil:~$ apt-get clean



Log in as root (or use sudo) for this command to be successful.

thanks!
sudo apt-get clean
****************************** is successfull, while
sudo apt-get autoclean
****************************** gives the exact same error


kjetil
*





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120309144630.GP4889@desktop





--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."



George Orwell (1984)
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Brian
 
Default synaptic bombs!

On Fri 09 Mar 2012 at 10:36:21 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 08:46, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Log in as root (or use sudo) for this command to be successful.
> >
>
> thanks!
> sudo apt-get clean
> is successfull, while

/var/cache/apt/archives should now be empty of packages but what does
'successful' mean?

> sudo apt-get autoclean
gives the exact same error

Which error is that?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120309193016.GR4889@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120309193016.GR4889@desktop
 
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
 
Default synaptic bombs!

see below.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:33, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:

see below!

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 09:33, Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:


Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is debian testing, with recent updates.



> When starting synaptic, it explodes, with the following message:



> "E: Unable to increase the size of the MMap as the limit of 8388608 bytes

> is already reached.

> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of

> APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)



This suggests you may have added a number of repositories over and above

the standard set. You can either reduce the number, or do what it suggests

and increase the mmap size. Paste the following five lines into a

terminal, as root:



cat >/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80cache-limit <<!

# Increase the cache limit from 8388608 bytes

#

APT::Cache-Limit "10000000";

!


I did this, pasted the above into a root terminal, but it does not help. Exact same error as before reported.

Kjetil
*


Then run these two commands (also as root) and you should be able to

use synaptic again:



apt-get clean

apt-get update



Chris





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/kfkp29xsmf.ln2@news.roaima.co.uk





--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."



George Orwell (1984)





For the record:

Problem solved by changing Cache-Limit
in /etc/apt/apt.conf to 0 (zero), which means no limit.

Kjetil



--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."



George Orwell (1984)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org