Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Bernard

Default big problem with TP-LINK WiFi card

Hi to Everyone,

On the Desktop of my association, there was no wireless card. So, I
purchased one that is said to be Debian compatible. It is a PCI card
TP-LINK

TL-WN751ND

It is supposedly based on an Atheros chipset AR 9227

I plugged it inside the Central Unit on a PCI slot, and then booted the
Debian Squeeze system.

As a rather pleasant surprise, the wireless system was being
acknowledged immediately, and I could display a list of wireless
networks available in my area, amongst which I saw my own DSL wireless
network on which I have been able to connect any other laptop or desktop
computer that ever came to my house. I clicked to that Network on the
list, and then entered all the digits of my WPA password. This being
done, I got the message that I was connected and that the connexion was
allright. Well, then I launched Firefox (I mean Iceweasel) and called
for a web page... As soon as the connexion to that page was achieved,
THE SYSTEM FROZE and I could do nothing more... The mouse was no longer
active, same for the keyboard or anything else, CTRL-ALT-DEL did
nothing, and I had no other choice than disconnecting power. At reboot,
the freezing did appear right away, in the process of gnome launching.
Same at each new attempt.

I first thought that the chipset may have been faulty or damaged. So I
tested it under MSWIN (XP) since I have a dual boot on that desktop.
Under MSWIN, after the appropriate install with the provided CDROM, the
TL-WN751ND card did operate all right. After the password was typed,
connexion happened and operated without freezing the system or any other
trouble. So, it is most likely that the hardware is not faulty here.

I understand that I should probably have first checked if my Debian
Squeeze system was ready with the appropriate packages to run that
wireless chipset, instead of right away trusting the fact that it seemed
to be reckognized 'out of the box'. However, now that things are that
way, I wonder what files I should delete (booting from a rescue disk
maybe), so that I am able to de-install or install whatever is needed to
get that chipset working.

Thanks in advance for your help

Archive: 4F59280A.3040408@teaser.fr">http://lists.debian.org/4F59280A.3040408@teaser.fr

Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Bernard

Bernard wrote:

[...]

P.S. : I carried new tests. As said above, now that my WiFi is
configured, every attempt to boot, leads to "freezing" of the system in
the middle of gnome start... EXCEPT IF I shutdown my DSL/WiFi box ! As
long as no connexion is possible, the system starts all right ; I can
see the other WiFi available in the area (I don't have the
passwords...). This being, if I reboot my WiFi connexion on the DSL
modem, then, as said before, connexion does happen all right, it seems
fully operational, but only for about 45 to 60 seconds, system freezing
happens next. My TL-WN751ND card is supposed to work with Debian kernel
module ath9k, which is supposed to be loaded with the wireless-tools
package, which is alreeady installed.

Archive: 4F59D69F.8020101@teaser.fr">http://lists.debian.org/4F59D69F.8020101@teaser.fr

Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:08:31 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Bernard wrote:
>> Hi to Everyone,
>>
>> On the Desktop of my association, there was no wireless card. So, I
>> purchased one that is said to be Debian compatible. It is a PCI card
>> TP-LINK
>> TL-WN751ND
>>
>> It is supposedly based on an Atheros chipset AR 9227
>>
>> I plugged it inside the Central Unit on a PCI slot, and then booted the
>> Debian Squeeze system.

(...)

> P.S. : I carried new tests. As said above, now that my WiFi is
> configured, every attempt to boot, leads to "freezing" of the system in
> the middle of gnome start... EXCEPT IF I shutdown my DSL/WiFi box ! As
> long as no connexion is possible, the system starts all right ; I can
> see the other WiFi available in the area (I don't have the
> passwords...). This being, if I reboot my WiFi connexion on the DSL
> modem, then, as said before, connexion does happen all right, it seems
> fully operational, but only for about 45 to 60 seconds, system freezing
> happens next. My TL-WN751ND card is supposed to work with Debian kernel
> module ath9k, which is supposed to be loaded with the wireless-tools
> package, which is alreeady installed.

There are many issues reported for system freezes regarding that kernel
module (ath9k), there is even a documented bug at the Linuxwireless site:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/bugs#Hangs_with_PCI_devices_and_SMP_systems

And even on Debian BTS:

I would try with an updated kernel.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Fri Mar 9 18:30:02 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=ZACzqT2WTsmYxTg5AwRdNlsb5w4PvqGBGsI/uOghMJQ=;
b=DT/E2WniyWxQSEDzWt8WLSZc1oZzsRiFDVAtPwRqgQIMyZ4/iHYsj0jPWTSECoA1HP
R+0xE8Dz7WvWBA0SRjjHactc9f6JNA67xTW122qRDDbags4SAp HEcc+dqCOpnWr3DeM0
srfQEtHGRyL2PFnE5UMDOIWUdThzmK5aH8tQhWYccrWv07xhRD ZfmFGz0VDG1QA4fZ0Z
vVBSjKyeI5m3aN7HuV5FBa24ts0OIK2OVZ5TmsRUr3X15mZGMB ZWQU6DzTFwoAZFmZFi
PaOi6soG6SIZZJLNgc8OOHbnbENjx7JRlayyxZ2TpEjSFtrxva/eFo5vscSRtiJ6/Gzk
c/ig=Received: by 10.213.9.146 with SMTP id l18mr330536ebl.70.1331307675492;
Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:41:15 -0800 (PST)