Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Stayvoid

Default Securing Debian Manual: 10.4.2.1 Proactive defense

Hello.

"Note, however, that there are rootkits which might work even in this
case, there are some that tamper with /dev/kmem (kernel memory)
directly to make themselves undetectable."
How to avoid those?

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch10.en.html

Cheers

Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Mr_Queue

In ten years I've never seen so much of a flood sent to this list.

Please see the following URL and place each one of your emails in the
magic box.

http://lmgtfy.com

Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Stayvoid

> In ten years I've never seen so much of a flood sent to this list.
I'm really sorry for this, but it's not that easy to find.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Hi Stayvoid!

Thanks for what I perceive to be an attempt to help to improve the
securing Debian manual.

Am Donnerstag, 8. März 2012 schrieb Stayvoid:
> Hello.
>
> "Note, however, that there are rootkits which might work even in this
> case, there are some that tamper with /dev/kmem (kernel memory)
> directly to make themselves undetectable."
> How to avoid those?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch10.en.html

How about sending patches and questions to the actual maintainers or
Securing Debian Manual?

I think a good place to make suggestions regarding this manual would be
the mailinglist of the Debian Documentation project or report bugs on the
source package ¹ ².

But I would first write a single (!) mail to debian-doc writing that you
have lots - well, I mean lots - of points and ask how to best bring them
up. Whether in one mail or bugreport each or summarized or whatnot.

I would first gather information on *how* to provide your feedback in the
most useful manner, before posting several dozens of mails to their
mailing list.

If you rather would like to ask many questions for yourself - instead of
helping to improve the manual -, debian-security mailing list might be a
good place to start, or well, you could ask here as well, but then please
summarize things a bit more! There is also a rather quiet mailing list for
the hardening project at Debian, but for security related questions the
debian-security mailing list might be better ³.

So or so I suggest you either try to get in contact with the authors of
the handbook or find yourself a more digestable way to ask your questions
if you are really interested in feedback.

Cause at least I am overwhelmed by your posting flood.

[1] debian-doc@lists.debian.org
[2] which appears to be harden-doc
[3] debian-security@lists.debian.org

Thanks,

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Walter Hurry

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:21:12 +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hi Stayvoid!
> I am overwhelmed by your posting flood.

I'm not. He is already in the bozo bin.