Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
lina

Default /etc/passwd

Hi,

Last time I added one user,
Later I used deluser some_user_name

but some information still keep it in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

My question is that: is it safe do delete the entry regards the
deleted user by hand?

Thanks,

Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:11:44 +0800, lina wrote:

"On topic" can be omitted :-P

> Last time I added one user,
> Later I used deluser some_user_name
>
> but some information still keep it in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
>
> My question is that: is it safe do delete the entry regards the deleted
> user by hand?

Mmm... I'd say you can but better look at "man vipw" to add more safety
when editing those files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM
lina

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:11:44 +0800, lina wrote:
>
> "On topic" can be omitted :-P
>
>> Last time I added one user,
>> Later I used deluser some_user_name
>>
>> but some information still keep it in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
>>
>> My question is that: is it safe do delete the entry regards the deleted
>> user by hand?
>
> Mmm... I'd say you can but better look at "man vipw" to add more safety
> when editing those files.

I deleted that user and reboot, it showed me

# more /var/log/syslog
Mar 9 00:17:57 dove rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.6" x-
pid="1302" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed

am I in trouble?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
"Karl E. Jorgensen"

but some information still keep it in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

What information is left? We would expect one line per user, but if the line is still there, then the user has not been deleted...

My question is that: is it safe do delete the entry regards the
deleted user by hand?

Depends... See above

Thanks,

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 00:19:23 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:11:44 +0800, lina wrote:
>>
>> "On topic" can be omitted :-P
>>
>>> Last time I added one user,
>>> Later I used deluser some_user_name
>>>
>>> but some information still keep it in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
>>>
>>> My question is that: is it safe do delete the entry regards the
>>> deleted user by hand?
>>
>> Mmm... I'd say you can but better look at "man vipw" to add more safety
>> when editing those files.
>
> I deleted that user and reboot, it showed me
>
> # more /var/log/syslog
> Mar 9 00:17:57 dove rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
> swVersion="5.8.6" x- pid="1302" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"]
> rsyslogd was HUPed
>

> am I in trouble?

In troube, why?

That's a message coming from rsyslog daemon which maybe was reloaded by
cron.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón