Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Stayvoid

Default Securing Debian Manual: 4.2 Execute a security update

Hello.

"To manually update the system, put the following line in your
sources.list and you will get security updates automatically, whenever
you update your system. Replace [CODENAME] with the release codename,
e.g. squeeze.
deb http://security.debian.org/ [CODENAME]/updates main contrib non-free"
Is this a good idea? I've thought that "automatically" is not a best choice.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html

Cheers

Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 08 mar 12, 16:55:51, Stayvoid wrote:
> Hello.
>
> "To manually update the system, put the following line in your
> sources.list and you will get security updates automatically, whenever
> you update your system. Replace [CODENAME] with the release codename,
> e.g. squeeze.
> deb http://security.debian.org/ [CODENAME]/updates main contrib non-free"
> Is this a good idea? I've thought that "automatically" is not a best choice.

You missed the "[...] whenever you update your system."

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Brad Alexander

Personally, I don't do any automatic updates, however I do run
apticron, which emails me a list every day, including a list of
urgency levels, and a description of each package being upgraded. I
then go through and prioritize my upgrades based on the function of
the server (e.g. if there is a new BIND package, it will raise the
priority of the upgrade on the DNS server). The same applies to the
urgency. If a package has urgency=high or urgency=emergency, then it
will definitely be a higher priority than a low update of a package
that is not crucial on the system...