Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Stayvoid

Default Securing Debian Manual: 3.2.1.1 Selecting the appropriate file systems

Hello.

"During the system partitioning you also have to decide which file
system you want to use. The default file system selected in the Debian
installation for Linux partitions is ext3, a journaling file system." [1]
This manual covers only ext-related features. Should I use ext4
instead of ext3 for all partitions?

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for those who already seen this post.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Brad Alexander

Probably. ext4 is mature and stable enough that I don't think it makes
sense to use ext3. Unless, of course, some policy dictates or you are
preserving an existing legacy partition, I would go with ext4.

I just rebuilt my workstation and used ext4 for all, and all of the
boxes we are building at work are ext4 as well.

--b