Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Stayvoid

Default Securing Debian Manual: 3.2.1 Choose an intelligent partition scheme

Hello.

What partition scheme is the best for a VPS (MTA + web server)?

According to the guide [1] I should use something like this:
/home
/tmp
/var/tmp/
/var
/opt
/var/mail

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for those who already seen this post.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 08 mar 12, 16:49:15, Stayvoid wrote:

> What partition scheme is the best for a VPS (MTA + web server)?

The one which suits your needs
(SCNR)

You really, really should read
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html first (this applies to all
your other questions as well).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Stayvoid

> You really, really should read
> http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html first (this applies to all
> your other questions as well).
I read it some time ago.

Sorry for zillions of questions, but I really want to hear some
thoughts on these topics. The guide is outdated and I hope it'll help
to fix it.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Stayvoid

> The one which suits your needs
Could you point me to the guide that actually explains this?
Every guide I read says something like: "do foo because foo is the right way."
It doesn't make any sense.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 08 mar 12, 17:35:38, Stayvoid wrote:
> > You really, really should read
> > http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html first (this applies to all
> > your other questions as well).
> I read it some time ago.

Well, maybe you should read it again. I'm not kidding, I've read it
myself several times, a few years apart and it has taught me valuable
lessons every time.

> Sorry for zillions of questions, but I really want to hear some
> thoughts on these topics. The guide is outdated and I hope it'll help
> to fix it.

It's not the quantity, but the fact that you are not asking the right
questions. You want a magic-bullet-universal-truth-type-of-recipe and
the answer for that is "42"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy)#Answer_to_ the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_a nd_Everything_.2842.29

Think about these first:
- what are you trying to accomplish (be specific, not general things
like "a secure server", "world peace", etc.)
- what workload do you expect your application to be able to handle
- how many users will there be and what kind of access do they need
- will there be more than one person administering the system
- what threats do you expect
- etc.

As soon as you start answering these you will see what does and what
does not make sense for you (e.g. there is no need to change the default
shell to 'rsh' if you are the only user and you only ever log in as
root).

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Rares Aioanei

On 03/08/2012 04:37 PM, Stayvoid wrote:

The one which suits your needs

Could you point me to the guide that actually explains this?
Every guide I read says something like: "do foo because foo is the right way."
It doesn't make any sense.

You're the only one who knows what you need. When you know that,
questions and answers become more simple.

Regards,

Rares