Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 AM
yudi v

Default X forwarding to a Windows 7 PC

Hi all,

I am trying to forward X from a Debian PC (laptop) to windows 7 pc
(desktop) without using SSH.

Will either use xming or mobaxterm on windows 7 pc

After some research, it looks like it can be done by copying the X
server cookie over to the windows 7 PC.

then use the following command to launch the programs on the windows pc.

-display hostname:display#.screen#

Both the PCs are directly connected and have access to each others
files using cifs tools/Samba.

As the computers are only few meters apart, I dont think a SSH
connection is needed.

I haven't tried this yet, is there anything I need to be aware of
before going down this path. I mean are there any security implication
doing this.

Also which one is
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 08 mar 12, 14:23:56, yudi v wrote:

> As the computers are only few meters apart, I dont think a SSH
> connection is needed.

Distance is irrelevant, but rather how the network itself is shielded
from the outside.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM

[...]

IIRC there is a version requirement for Samba to play nice with W7.* Google for Samba and Windows 7

Larry

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM
yudi v

> IIRC there is a version requirement for Samba to play nice with W7.* Google
> for Samba and Windows 7
>
> Larry

The only issue I have with Samba right now is that I have to
authenticate from windows every time I reboot either of my systems. Is
there a way to stop this.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM

> IIRC there is a version requirement for Samba to play nice with W7.* Google
> for Samba and Windows 7
>
> Larry

The only issue I have with Samba right now is that I have to
authenticate from windows every time I reboot either of my systems. Is
there a way to stop this.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Do you have a non-Win 7 (e.g. XP) that you can try to see if it exhibits the same behavior?* This would probably identify the culprit end

Larry

Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
yudi v

> Do you have a non-Win 7 (e.g. XP) that you can try to see if it exhibits the
> same behavior?* This would probably identify the culprit end

Sorry, don't. I am guessing I might have missed a setting somewhere.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 AM
yudi v

> Distance is irrelevant, but rather how the network itself is shielded
> from the outside.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

I am not sure what you are implying here. I am not changing any
network settings nor am I opening up any ports expect when I run
xserver on windows.

All I am trying to do is use xauth.

Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM
yudi v

> You have two (or more) computers connected to each other. I'm assuming
> they are also connected to the Internet somehow (you didn't mention). If
> you trust every other computer (and users) in your internal network
> *and* you trust your protection from the Internet, then you don't need
> SSH. Physical distance doesn't matter.

I connect to Internet using mobile broadband when needed. Both PCs are
connected via a LAN cable and these are the only computers in the
internal network. The traffic is not routed through the Internet.

So in a net shell SSH is only needed if the transport layer is
susceptible to eavesdropping.
I might still use SSH for compression.

I should have been more clear in my OP, I was inquiring about the
security implications of using xauth more than routhing traffic over
an untrusted network without encryption.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi