Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 AM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

Default PulseAudio--simultaneous output stopped working

I use PulseAudio on Debian Testing. For the most part it Just Works and i didnt have to do any elaborate configuration juju.

I have it set up to do multiple simultaneous output, i do this just by clicking Simultaneous Output -> "Add virtual output device for simultaneous
output on all local sound cards" in PulseAudio Preferences, not by editing the config files. I have two USB output devices and a pair of desktop
speakers plugged into the audio-out on the computer.

Until recently this worked, but after some or other recent update, it stopped working. PulseAudio Volume Control does give me various options,
for playing each individual device and then "Simultaneous output to [device 1, device 2, etc.]". Now, I can click from one to the other and move the
sound around seamlessly on each device, but the Simultaneous one is dead silent on all devices. The volume meter does boogie with the sound,
but there is not output.

Can someone suggest what to look at to solve this? I did wait a week or so in case it was some bug that would get fixed.

Thanks!

Jen

Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

> I use PulseAudio on Debian Testing. For the most part it Just Works and i didnt
> have to do any elaborate configuration juju.
>
> I have it set up to do multiple simultaneous output, i do this just by clicking
> Simultaneous Output -> "Add virtual output device for simultaneous
> output on all local sound cards" in PulseAudio Preferences, not by editing
> the config files. I have two USB output devices and a pair of desktop
> speakers plugged into the audio-out on the computer.
>
> Until recently this worked, but after some or other recent update, it stopped
> working. PulseAudio Volume Control does give me various options,
> for playing each individual device and then "Simultaneous output to [device
> 1, device 2, etc.]". Now, I can click from one to the other and move the
> sound around seamlessly on each device, but the Simultaneous one is dead silent
> on all devices. The volume meter does boogie with the sound,
> but there is not output.
>
> Can someone suggest what to look at to solve this? I did wait a week or so in
> case it was some bug that would get fixed.

I dont know if this helps but i was trying to play around with this--switching to the*
Simultaneous Output tab while music was playing--and it crashed with this error:

pa_stream_writable_size() failed: Connection terminated at /usr/bin/../share/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser_gstreamer-0.10.pm

(i get the same problem with other sources, i.e. if I play a song with Audacious it will
also not play with Simultaneous Output. But gmusicbrowser is my main source for audio.)