Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Gilles Mocellin

Default using bittorrent for backup of personal files

Le 09/03/2012 00:46, Rob Owens a écrit :

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:53:31AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:

[...]

I don't know what BackupPC does internally, but I would just
use rsync over ssh, with appropriate options. It ought to be pretty
robust

I have BackupPC configured to use rsync over ssh. It works well, but
its main problems are:

1) It typically maxes out my internet connection. Plain old rsync
would do this too, unless there is a throttling option that I don't know
about. Rtorrent, which I use, has a throttling option.

Of course rsync has a throttling option :
Read the rsync's man :

--bwlimit=KBPS limit I/O bandwidth; KBytes per second

You can tell backuppc to use additional rsync options.

[...]

Archive: 4F5B6132.2090309@nuagelibre.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F5B6132.2090309@nuagelibre.org

Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Rob Owens

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 03:12:02PM +0100, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le 09/03/2012 00:46, Rob Owens a écrit :
> >On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:53:31AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> [...]
>
> >>I don't know what BackupPC does internally, but I would just
> >>use rsync over ssh, with appropriate options. It ought to be pretty
> >>robust
> >>
> >I have BackupPC configured to use rsync over ssh. It works well, but
> >its main problems are:
> >
> >1) It typically maxes out my internet connection. Plain old rsync
> >would do this too, unless there is a throttling option that I don't know
> >about. Rtorrent, which I use, has a throttling option.
>
> Of course rsync has a throttling option :
> Read the rsync's man :
>
> --bwlimit=KBPS limit I/O bandwidth; KBytes per second

Thanks for that. I didn't know it existed.

-Rob

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Tuesday 06 March 2012 7:18:49 pm Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm considering using bittorrent to back up large files such as pictures
> and home movies. I am the admin for several of my family members'
> computers. The idea would be to back up my files onto their machines,
> then eventually back their stuff up in the same manner, resulting in
> several off-site backups for each of us.

Aren't you trying to do something that BT doesn't do? BT is good when you
have lots of people who want to download a file and lots of people have the
file. Then transmitting the file is broken up among many people. In your case
only one person has the file(s) and you want to copy them to a few other
people. Seems to me like you are trying to use the wrong tool.

Mark

Old 03-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 10 mar 12, 19:48:21, Mark Neidorff wrote:

> Aren't you trying to do something that BT doesn't do? BT is good when you
> have lots of people who want to download a file and lots of people have the
> file. Then transmitting the file is broken up among many people. In your case
> only one person has the file(s) and you want to copy them to a few other
> people. Seems to me like you are trying to use the wrong tool.

No, this is what BitTorrent was designed for.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 11:00:48AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 10 mar 12, 19:48:21, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> >
> > Aren't you trying to do something that BT doesn't do? BT is good when you
> > have lots of people who want to download a file and lots of people have the
> > file. Then transmitting the file is broken up among many people. In your case
> > only one person has the file(s) and you want to copy them to a few other
> > people. Seems to me like you are trying to use the wrong tool.
>
> No, this is what BitTorrent was designed for.

I agree with Andrei

I'm trying to transmit files to 3 or 5 other computers. Not hundreds,
like BT is famous for, but I still think this is appropriate use. It
will certainly save me some bandwidth over rsync'ing.

-Rob

Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Rob Owens

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 02:04:46AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 08 mar 12, 18:56:19, Rob Owens wrote:
> > >
> > I'm a bit of a novice, so my terminology may be off. But by "public" I
> > mean a torrent that I upload to any public tracker, like
> > thepiratebay or something. Anyone could download my torrent, not that they
> > would know to look for it.
>
> You don't need a public tracker, you can either set up your own tracker
> or just use DHT.

For those following along, I've had some success testing on my LAN.

Set up a tracker on machine1:

bttrack --port 6969 --dfile dstate --logfile bttrack.log

Create a torrent and reference the above tracker. I did it both with
transmission-gtk and the following command line:

btmakemetafile http://machine1:6969/announce somefile
or
btmakemetafile http://machine1:6969/announce somedirectory

Seed the torrent with one machine, and download the torrent on another
machine. I also had success downloading the torrent from the same user
account that was seeding it, but using a different bittorrent client
(and saving to a different directory).

Some of the torrents take a long time to start downloading (like an hour
or more). Some of them start right away. One torrent ran overnight and
never started downloading. Then I paused and resumed it, and it started
right up. Any ideas why this might happen?

-Rob