Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Robert Pommrich

Default Debian and EFIKA MX Smartbook

Hello,

I am interested in buying the EFIKA MX Smartbook [1].

Is there anybody who owns one and has Debian installed?

Besides I read some documentation, like [2], the documents that can be
found here [3], and [4], I still have some questions.

I'd prefer to have Debian over Ubuntu installed.

1. The support of the armhf architecture starts with wheezy. But there
are no install images, except those on [3], right? When can one expect them?

2. Is the graphic unit fully supported with these install images, that
is to say, is the xorg-video-imx driver already included?

3. Did I understand it right, that for an installation of Debian, I just
need to write one of those images to a SD card, put this into the SD
card slot, turn the device on and drink some coffee?

3.1 After the installation, upgrading the system will work?

4. If it should be not that easy, does the armel distribution of Debian
work on the device? I guess, then I have to compile the xorg-video-imx
driver by myself, right?

Thank you for your answers.
Robert

[1] http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/smartbook
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX
[3] http://www.powerdeveloper.org/platforms/efikamx/linux
[4] http://blog.efikamx.info/

Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Dominique Dumont

On Monday 05 March 2012 12:27:11 Robert Pommrich wrote:
> Is there anybody who owns one and has Debian installed?

I've bought its sibling: the smarttop [1]

> 1. The support of the armhf architecture starts with wheezy. But there
> are no install images, except those on [3], right? When can one expect
> them?

I've tried armhf-2GB_20111122.img.xz .

> 2. Is the graphic unit fully supported with these install images, that
> is to say, is the xorg-video-imx driver already included?

The video is working. I did not check which driver was used.

> 3. Did I understand it right, that for an installation of Debian, I just
> need to write one of those images to a SD card, put this into the SD
> card slot, turn the device on and drink some coffee?

Yes.

> 3.1 After the installation, upgrading the system will work?

Probably. Except for the kernel. The kernel must be compiled with the correct
options to support the Efika board.

> 4. If it should be not that easy, does the armel distribution of Debian
> work on the device? I guess, then I have to compile the xorg-video-imx
> driver by myself, right?

And the kernel. and create the u-boot image

HTH

Dominique

[1] http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/efika

--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/ddumont -o- http://ddumont.wordpress.com/

Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Robert Pommrich

Hi,

thank you very much for your answers. Meanwhile I have the smartbook.
But before I play around, I would like to know better what will await me.

Am 05.03.2012 14:36, schrieb Dominique Dumont:
>> 1. The support of the armhf architecture starts with wheezy. But there
>> are no install images, except those on [3], right? When can one expect
>> them?
>
> I've tried armhf-2GB_20111122.img.xz .

Would you please explain a bit more detailed what is this exactly? Is it
an installer or a live system or an already installed debian? If it is
an installed debian, which packages are installed?

>> 3. Did I understand it right, that for an installation of Debian, I just
>> need to write one of those images to a SD card, put this into the SD
>> card slot, turn the device on and drink some coffee?
>
> Yes.

Would you please tell, what happens step by step after starting the
device with the SD card inserted?

>> 3.1 After the installation, upgrading the system will work?
>
> Probably. Except for the kernel. The kernel must be compiled with the correct
> options to support the Efika board.

Which option would that be? Which kernel would be to use?

>> 4. If it should be not that easy, does the armel distribution of Debian
>> work on the device? I guess, then I have to compile the xorg-video-imx
>> driver by myself, right?
>
> And the kernel. and create the u-boot image

Would you please explain the creation of the u-boot image a bit more
detailed?

Thank you for your effort.
Robert

Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Dominique Dumont

Le Friday 16 March 2012 13:45:03, Robert Pommrich a écrit :
> > I've tried armhf-2GB_20111122.img.xz .
>
> Would you please explain a bit more detailed what is this exactly? Is it
> an installer or a live system or an already installed debian? If it is
> an installed debian, which packages are installed?

This is an image file that you need to write on an SD card.
see http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX for more details

> >> 3. Did I understand it right, that for an installation of Debian, I just
> >> need to write one of those images to a SD card, put this into the SD
> >> card slot, turn the device on and drink some coffee?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Would you please tell, what happens step by step after starting the
> device with the SD card inserted?

The smarttop directly boots from the image stored on the SD card.

> >> 3.1 After the installation, upgrading the system will work?
> >
> > Probably. Except for the kernel. The kernel must be compiled with the
> > correct options to support the Efika board.
>
> Which option would that be? Which kernel would be to use?

If you use the image, you don't need to rebuild your kernel.

I know that they are some *eifka* options in the kernel, use grep to find
them. As for the kernel version, your guess is as good as mine. I did no try
further as the imsage provided by Genesi did fit my needs.

> >> 4. If it should be not that easy, does the armel distribution of Debian
> >> work on the device? I guess, then I have to compile the xorg-video-imx
> >> driver by myself, right?
> >
> > And the kernel. and create the u-boot image
>
> Would you please explain the creation of the u-boot image a bit more
> detailed?

This is detailed in http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX

All the best

Dominique