Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Brian

Default CUPS and Brother HL-5340D dual whammy

On Fri 02 Mar 2012 at 16:30:26 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:41:55AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> >
> > The error you got is reproducible by removing the first line of a ppd
> >
> > *PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
>
> I see I have a couple leading characters of garbage. Removing them,
> I now get "/etc/cups/interfaces/HL-5340D_native_ppd failed"
> Worth getting a virgin copy of the ppd to be sure (although
> I'm doing fine with the PCL6 driver ATM.)

If you do acquire another copy you may want to run cupstestppd on it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 01 Mar 2012, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I think you're the newest member to our growing club! See:

> - Nate >>

I've never got on with CUPS and alwayw use lprng + magicfilter.

I have a Brother HL5240 which was working fine in this way until my HDD
broke a few weeks ago. After reinstalling Sid on a new disk I had
problems getting the printer to work, especially when printing from
other machines on the local network. Some helpful advice from the lprng
maintainer fixed that.

One odd thing: the driver I got from Brother and used previously
without problems now no longer worked. However, the ljet4 driver in
macicfilter is fine.

I have posted full details of how I got the printer working on my blog:
http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php; see the entry for 16
Feb for details.

AC
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2012 03 Mar 05:38 -0600, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I have posted full details of how I got the printer working on my blog:
> http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php; see the entry for 16
> Feb for details.

I did find your blog a few days ago and considered going back to lprng
and magicfilter and all. I think I would miss the cups-pdf plug-in as I
use it quite a lot with programs that can't export directly to PDF as
with Libre Office.

- Nate >>

Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Brian

On Sat 03 Mar 2012 at 07:03:26 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2012 03 Mar 05:38 -0600, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I have posted full details of how I got the printer working on my blog:
> > http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php; see the entry for 16
> > Feb for details.
>
> I did find your blog a few days ago and considered going back to lprng
> and magicfilter and all. I think I would miss the cups-pdf plug-in as I
> use it quite a lot with programs that can't export directly to PDF as
> with Libre Office.

There is File/Print.../Print to File to output in PDF format. It renders
cups-pdf superfluous. Do some of your programs not provide it?

Also, using cups-pdf on testing/unstable is questionable as CUPS has PDF
(previously Postscript) as its output for all jobs. cups-pdf is not made
for processing PDF.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 03 Mar 2012, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2012 03 Mar 05:38 -0600, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I have posted full details of how I got the printer working on my blog:
> > http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php; see the entry for 16
> > Feb for details.
>
> I did find your blog a few days ago and considered going back to lprng
> and magicfilter and all. I think I would miss the cups-pdf plug-in as I
> use it quite a lot with programs that can't export directly to PDF as
> with Libre Office.
>
> - Nate >>

That's strange. I can export files as pdf from libreoffice without
problems - I've just done it twice to make sure.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2012 03 Mar 08:42 -0600, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 03 Mar 2012, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * On 2012 03 Mar 05:38 -0600, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I have posted full details of how I got the printer working on my blog:
> > > http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php; see the entry for 16
> > > Feb for details.
> >
> > I did find your blog a few days ago and considered going back to lprng
> > and magicfilter and all. I think I would miss the cups-pdf plug-in as I
> > use it quite a lot with programs that can't export directly to PDF as
> > with Libre Office.
> >
> > - Nate >>
>
> That's strange. I can export files as pdf from libreoffice without
> problems - I've just done it twice to make sure.

Not strange as most other programs don't have an export to PDF as Libre
Office does. That is what I was trying to say.

- Nate >>

Old 03-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Brian

On Sat 03 Mar 2012 at 09:17:55 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Not strange as most other programs don't have an export to PDF as Libre
> Office does. That is what I was trying to say.

This is an underselling of GTK and QT based applications which have a
Print... dialogue, including Libre Office. They can all export to PDF.
It may not be expressed that way but it is what happens.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Joel Roth

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:32:22AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 02 Mar 2012 at 16:30:26 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:41:55AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > The error you got is reproducible by removing the first line of a ppd
> > >
> > > *PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
> >
> > I see I have a couple leading characters of garbage. Removing them,
> > I now get "/etc/cups/interfaces/HL-5340D_native_ppd failed"
> > Worth getting a virgin copy of the ppd to be sure (although
> > I'm doing fine with the PCL6 driver ATM.)
>
> If you do acquire another copy you may want to run cupstestppd on it.

Where do I find it?

Other posts on this thread mention that the latest
version of CUPS is having trouble with some PPD files.

Cheers,

--
Joel Roth

Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Brian

On Sat 03 Mar 2012 at 07:45:20 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:32:22AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> >
> > If you do acquire another copy you may want to run cupstestppd on it.
>
> Where do I find it?

It's on your system.

man cupstestppd

Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Joel Roth

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 06:23:24PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 03 Mar 2012 at 07:45:20 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:32:22AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > If you do acquire another copy you may want to run cupstestppd on it.
> >
> > Where do I find it?
>
> It's on your system.
>
> man cupstestppd

Thanks. I didn't find it the first time 'round.
--
Joel Roth