Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
David Roguin

Default how to control fan speed?

Hi,

I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
manually write those commands
# echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
# echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output

Is there a package that controls the fan speed according to some
temperature stuff or something like that?

Thanks!

--
David

Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Alberto Luaces

David Roguin writes:

> Hi,
>
> I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
> manually write those commands
> # echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
> # echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
>
> Is there a package that controls the fan speed according to some
> temperature stuff or something like that?
>
> Thanks!

fancontrol.

--
Alberto

Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
David Roguin

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
> David Roguin writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
>> manually write those commands
>> # echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
>> # echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
>>
>> Is there a package that controls the fan speed according to some
>> temperature stuff or something like that?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> fancontrol.

$ sudo pwmconfig
# pwmconfig revision 5857 (2010-08-22)
# /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

--
David

Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Alberto Luaces

David Roguin writes:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Alberto Luaces wrote:
>> David Roguin writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
>>> manually write those commands
>>> # echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
>>> # echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
>>>
>>> Is there a package that controls the fan speed according to some
>>> temperature stuff or something like that?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> fancontrol.
>
> $ sudo pwmconfig
> # pwmconfig revision 5857 (2010-08-22)
> # /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

Use sensors-detect command to detect your sensors and load the required
modules if any.

--
Alberto

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM
David Roguin

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
> David Roguin writes:

>>> fancontrol.
>>
>> $ sudo pwmconfig
>> # pwmconfig revision 5857 (2010-08-22)
>> # /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>
> Use sensors-detect command to detect your sensors and load the required
> modules if any.

Did that. Added coretemp to /etc/modules, but still the same error pop ups
any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

--
David

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Alberto Luaces

David Roguin writes:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Alberto Luaces wrote:
>> David Roguin writes:

>>> $ sudo pwmconfig
>>> # pwmconfig revision 5857 (2010-08-22)
>>> # /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>>
>> Use sensors-detect command to detect your sensors and load the required
>> modules if any.
>
> Did that. Added coretemp to /etc/modules, but still the same error pop ups
> any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Then I'm afraid that it means that it there are not modules available to
control the pace of your hardware cooling fans, sorry.

--
Alberto

Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Alberto Luaces

Alberto Luaces writes:

> David Roguin writes:

>>> Use sensors-detect command to detect your sensors and load the required
>>> modules if any.
>>
>> Did that. Added coretemp to /etc/modules, but still the same error pop ups
>> any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>
> Then I'm afraid that it means that it there are not modules available to
> control the pace of your hardware cooling fans, sorry.

By the way, did you already tried cpufrequtils?

--
Alberto

Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Elimar Riesebieter

* David Roguin [120220 13:48 -0300]:

> Hi,
>
> I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
> manually write those commands
> # echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
> # echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output

Is your laptop an Apple one? Please send the output of
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

Elimar
--
Obviously the human brain works like a computer.
Since there are no stupid computers humans can't be stupid.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
David Roguin

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
> * David Roguin [120220 13:48 -0300]:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
>> manually write those commands
>> # echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
>> # echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
>
> Is your laptop an Apple one? Please send the output of
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 7
microcode : 0x1a
cpu MHz : 2301.000
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dts
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 4590.11
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 7
microcode : 0x1a
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 2
initial apicid : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dts
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 4589.36
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 2
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 7
microcode : 0x1a
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dts
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 4589.36
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping : 7
microcode : 0x1a
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3

Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Elimar Riesebieter

* David Roguin [120221 11:21 -0300]:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
> > * David Roguin [120220 13:48 -0300]:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I feel my notebook is heating up more than usual, what I do is
> >> manually write those commands
> >> # echo "1" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
> >> # echo "4000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
> >
> > Is your laptop an Apple one? Please send the output of
> > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0

It seems that you have to introduce some powersaving first,
powernowd......

Elimar
--
Alles was viel bedacht wird ist bedenklich!;-)
Friedrich Nietzsche