Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Csanyi Pal

Default How to keep track of files installed from sources?

Hi,

I want to install GNUstep from sources on my Debian GNU/Linux SID
sytem.

How can I know where come installed files after I did run:
./configure && make && sudo -E make install

commands?

this is important if I decide later to uninstall files installed from
sources.

--
Regards from Pal

Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Don deJuan

I want to install GNUstep from sources on my Debian GNU/Linux SID
sytem.

How can I know where come installed files after I did run:
./configure&& make&& sudo -E make install

commands?

this is important if I decide later to uninstall files installed from
sources.

lots have an uninstall option as well. Also you can read the actual make
file and it will tell you exactly where everything was installed and
what was. When going from source I prefer to build an actual package of
the source and my mods. Easier to keep track and remove

Archive: 4F401076.1070400@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F401076.1070400@gmail.com

Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Claudius Hubig

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want to install GNUstep from sources on my Debian GNU/Linux SID
>sytem.
>
>How can I know where come installed files after I did run:
>./configure && make && sudo -E make install
>
>commands?
>
>this is important if I decide later to uninstall files installed from
>sources.

You can very often configure the location where you want to install
files via an option to the ./configure command.

You might also want to have a look at the checkinstall package, which
creates a .deb file from such source files

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Machine-Independent, adj.:
Does not run on any existing machine.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install GNUstep from sources on my Debian GNU/Linux SID
> sytem.
>
> How can I know where come installed files after I did run:
> ./configure && make && sudo -E make install
>
> commands?

You may want to look into the checkinstall program. It's included in
the Debian repositories and is designed to do exactly what you're
looking for:

cbell@circe:~$ apt-cache show checkinstall
Package: checkinstall
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 572
Maintainer: Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.6.2-1
Replaces: installwatch
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5), file, dpkg-dev
Recommends: make
Suggests: gettext
Conflicts: installwatch
Filename: pool/main/c/checkinstall/checkinstall_1.6.2-1_amd64.deb
Size: 132876
MD5sum: 4100477b090e8c1b8de098ac0908fb25
SHA1: 05ce71d1a441fe7a9952f552719a82c1caa8a4da
SHA256: 761274f384cf3a40ee25247d4278150f0d92e813e41a4cd056 04fc219a47e923
CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or
modified by your installation script ("make install"
"make install_modules", "setup", etc), builds a
standard binary package and installs it in your
system giving you the ability to uninstall it with your
distribution's standard package management utilities.
Homepage: http://checkinstall.izto.org
Tag: admin:ackage-management, devel::buildtools, implemented-in::c,
implemented-in::shell, interface::commandline, role:rogram,
scope::utility, use::monitor, works-with::softwareackage

cbell@circe:~$

Good luck!

--
Chris

Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Bob Proulx

Csanyi Pal wrote:
> How can I know where come installed files after I did run:
> ./configure && make && sudo -E make install
> commands?

In addition to the fine comments made by others let me add that Debian
has a very nice default for local installations.

The default for configure is to install into /usr/local. The default
on Debian is that /usr/local is sgid writable by group staff.

$ ls -ld /usr/local
drwxrwsr-x 14 root staff 4096 May 13 2011 /usr/local

Therefore if you put yourself in the staff group then you can write to
the files there as a non-root user. That is a much safer way to
install software than using sudo.

# adduser csanyipal staff
...log out...
...log back in again to have new group take effect...

$ id | grep --color staff
...,50(staff),...

Then the recipe would be (without the sudo):

./configure && make && make install

This is significant because a buggy (or malicious) install script
might try to overwrite something in /bin, /etc, or whatever. But if
you are not root then it cannot do so. It will only have permission
to access the /usr/local tree as group 'staff' and can't do much harm
that way. This is a very nice half way position between installing as
a single user in $HOME and installing as the root superuser affecting
the core operating system. I highly recommend this over using sudo in
this case.

> this is important if I decide later to uninstall files installed from
> sources.

As previously suggested if it is installed with an automake generated
Makefile then it will have an uninstall target as well. The
combination of install and uninstall may be enough for you.

Since Debian doesn't ship files in /usr/local/ you could remove *all*
files there and know that you are only removing your own files and
nothing from Debian. With the group staff configuration you should do
this as yourself and not as root. If you are only installing one
single thing there then all files will be associated with that one
single thing.

The complication is when you start to have multiple projects installed
there and want to selectively remove one of them without removing
everything. But again you could remove everything and then install
again just what you want to keep from other projects.

$ find /usr/local -type f -print | less # <--- review
$ echo find /usr/local -type f -delete # <--- remove all files
$ (cd project1 && make install) # <--- put this one back
$ (cd project2 && make install) # <--- put this one back

I haven't used it but others tell me that GNU Stow is useful for
tracking locally installed projects in /usr/local.

Bob

Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM

>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:53:49 +0100,
>> Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> said:

C> I want to install GNUstep from sources on my Debian GNU/Linux SID sytem.
C> How can I know where come installed files after I did run: ./configure
C> && make && sudo -E make install commands?

C> this is important if I decide later to uninstall files installed from
C> sources.

If you want a list of what files were installed, the easiest way is
probably to do the configure/make/make install dance twice. The first
time, install under a disposable directory:

root# mkdir /tmp/local
root# cd /your/source/directory
root# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/local --whatever
root# make && make install

If you're planning on installing under /usr/local:

root# find /tmp/local -printf "%y %p %m %u %g %l
" | sort -k2,2 |
sed -e 's!/tmp/local!/usr/local!' > list-of-installed-files
root# rm -rf /tmp/local
root# make distclean # or make realclean, start from scratch
root# ./configure ... # use real options this time
root# make && make check && make install

"find" gives the filetype, path, mode, owner, group, and an optional 6th
field if the file is a symbolic link; "sort" gives results sorted by
filename. Some sample output:

d /usr/local/bin 755 root bin
f /usr/local/bin/antiword 755 root bin
f /usr/local/bin/authlog 755 root bin
f /usr/local/bin/avg 755 root bin
l /usr/local/bin/bootlog 777 root bin authlog
d /usr/local/lib 755 root bin

Here, /usr/local/bin/bootlog is a symlink to /usr/local/bin/authlog.
If you're paranoid, either save the output from "make install" or do a
separate check to make sure nothing was written outside of /usr/local:

root# find / /usr -xdev -mtime -1 -ls

--
Karl Vogel I don't speak for the USAF or my company

I put instant coffee in a microwave and went back in time. --Steven Wright

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Jude DaShiell

The dance only need be done once. If before doing the dance script
<enter> is typed and after the dance exit <enter> is typed. The file
typescript will then have the whole dance program inside it.On Fri, 9 Mar