Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

Hi

I need to share the Internet for the PC with an iPad. Linux is connected
by PPPoE using eth0 to the Internet and the iPad should get access to
the Internet by a Sempre WU300-1K USB adapter connected to the Linux PC.

$ hwinfo --usb
[snip]
Device: usb 0x8172 "RTL8191S WLAN Adapter"
Revision: "2.00"
Serial ID: "00e04c000001"
Driver: "r8712u"
Driver Modules: "r8712u"
Device File: wlan0
[snip]

Using Arch Linux I didn't get the Sempre to run. Using Ubuntu Studio
Oneiric I can connect the iPad to Linux by WLAN, but there's neither a
password required nor access to the Internet.

Is there a way to get Internet access under Debian + a password
protection?

If I run this on Ubuntu ...

$ cat adhoc
#! /bin/sh
# sh ./adhoc
# https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Adhoc

device=wlan0
sudo service network-manager stop
sudo ip link set $device down
sudo iwconfig $device mode ad-hoc
sudo iwconfig $device channel 4
sudo iwconfig $device essid 'oz'
sudo iwconfig $device key 1324354657
# sudo dhclient $device
sudo ip addr add 169.254.34.2/16 dev $device
exit 0

... the iPad recognized a network "oz". I can connect by selecting the
name "oz", WEP and for the password I just enter a space, but as
mentioned before, I don't get access to the Internet.

A google for "linux masquerade router" found several confusing and not
working howtos.

I would install a minimal Debian, if there should be a usable howto.
Perhaps a small Debian without GUI, since for the moment I would be
glad, just to get access to the Internet for the iPad.

Any hints are welcome,
Ralf

OT:
I didn't buy, but won an iPad 2. Beside all that flashy crap it can do
amazing things, of cause not usable with Linux, but for Mac and Windows
there are e.g. amazing apps that can be used with Mac and Windows DAWs.
Perhaps a jailbreak will enable some possibilities, when using it with a
Linux PC too. I was thinking of selling it and buying an Android tablet,
but a request on Linux audio mailing lists made clear that Android
hasn't the abilities for pro-audio and the Android developers aren't
interested in fixing bugs related to this issue. Another wasted chance
for Linux to become popular and to make more hardware vendors taking
care of Linux. Anyway, I don't own a Mac PC or a Windows PC and I hope I
get access to the Internet using Linux.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 18 feb 12, 21:00:34, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to share the Internet for the PC with an iPad. Linux is connected
> by PPPoE using eth0 to the Internet and the iPad should get access to
> the Internet by a Sempre WU300-1K USB adapter connected to the Linux PC.

How are you managing your internet connection on the Debian machine? If
it's Network Manager you can use it directly. If you are using ifupdown
you'll need to tinker with hostapd and IP forwarding and (optional) some
dhcp server (I prefer dnsmasq, because it also does DNS caching).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 23:45 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 18 feb 12, 21:00:34, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to share the Internet for the PC with an iPad. Linux is
connected
> > by PPPoE using eth0 to the Internet and the iPad should get access
> > the Internet by a Sempre WU300-1K USB adapter connected to the Linux
PC.

> How are you managing your internet connection on the Debian machine?
If
> it's Network Manager you can use it directly. If you are using
ifupdown
> you'll need to tinker with hostapd and IP forwarding and (optional)
some
> dhcp server (I prefer dnsmasq, because it also does DNS caching).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

At the moment I don't have Debian installed, but I'm willing to install
it again, if it should make it easier to set up what I need. For my
Ubuntu I made the connection by pppoeconf and NetworkManager is
installed. Running # nm-applet doesn't show it in the Xfce panel's
notification area, but
running # nm-connection-editor does start a GUI.

Thank you, I'll try NetworkManager. I wasn't sure if it doesn't need
additional settings too. I'll try with Ubuntu first and if needed I'll
install Debian.

First I need to understand what I have to set. Doing this doesn't work:

Connection name: Wireless connection 1
[x] Connect automatically
Tab "Wireless"
SSID: oz
Mode: Ad-hoc
Band: Automatic
(Channel: default)
BSSID:
Device MAC address:
Cloned MAC adresse:
MTU: automatic
Tab "IPv4 Settings"
Method: Manual
Adress: 192.255.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 1.1.1.1
DNS servers:
Search domains:
(DHCP client ID
[x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
Nothing edited for "Routes..."
Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
Tab "Wireless security"
Security: WE 128-bit Passphrase
Key: 1234567890

Even a reboot won't connect WLAN. And assumed everything should be set
up correctly, there still is no password? I can't find any howto.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:
[x] Available to all users.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 19 feb 12, 01:18:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> Method: Manual

This is the setting you need to change, but I don't know how it's called
in English. The Romanian translation would suggest something like
"Connection sharing".

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 02:54 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 19 feb 12, 01:18:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> > Method: Manual
>
> This is the setting you need to change, but I don't know how it's
called
> in English. The Romanian translation would suggest something like
> "Connection sharing".
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

Yes, thank you, it's "Shared to other computers". I edited it by using
nm-connection-editor, after that the nm-applet appeared automatically
and after enabling wireless, the applet showed networks from my
neighborhood. After a while the Linux network was shown by the iPad,
then I lost the connection. I disabled and enabled wireless, but nothing
happened.

I'll reboot. I still wonder, if I need to set addresses and what
username and password to use.

Settings now are:

Connection name: Wireless connection 1
[x] Connect automatically
[x] Available to all users
Tab "Wireless"
SSID: oz
Mode: Ad-hoc
Band: Automatic
(Channel: default)
BSSID:
Device MAC address:
Cloned MAC adresse:
MTU: automatic
Tab "IPv4 Settings"
Method: Shared to other computers
(Adress:
Netmask:
Gateway:
DNS servers:
Search domains:
DHCP client ID
[x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
(Nothing edited for "Routes...")
Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
Tab "Wireless security"
Security: WE 128-bit Passphrase
Key: 1234567890

I only enabled wireless, the DSL connection isn't set up by nm, it was
set up by pppoeconf and starts automatically at startup.

After rebooting the nm-applet appeared automatically and a notification
is displayed:
"Network

Disconnected - you are offline"

Anyway I can surf the Internet using Firefox, but indeed, Evolution
can't connect.

I enabled networking. Evolution now is connected. Wireless isn't
enabled, but the neighborhood's networks are shown by the applet. The
iPad shows the Linux network oz. Again and again authentication is
required by Linux. I'm always using "1234567890" and then always push
connect. After a while, when I tried to set up the iPad, the network
"oz" can't be found anymore, the USB adapter's LED indeed change it's
notification flashing. Enabling wireless doesn't change anything.

I still wonder what settings I have to do for the iPad, username,
password, of my provider? "oz" and this "1234567890" key? I'll change
it, when it's working .

I'll backup the install now and continue later.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:
After a while I'm asked again and again for authentication by Linux and
the USB adapters LED shows that it's sending again, but some time later
it gets lost again.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Curt

On 2012-02-18, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> OT:
> I didn't buy, but won an iPad 2. Beside all that flashy crap it can do
> amazing things, of cause not usable with Linux, but for Mac and Windows
> there are e.g. amazing apps that can be used with Mac and Windows DAWs.

Careful you don't slip down into Hades, a gated community whose gate is
never locked, along with Virgil and his gang.

It's Hell getting back out again!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Connection name: Wireless connection 1
> [x] Connect automatically
> [x] Available to all users
> Tab "Wireless"
> SSID: oz
> Mode: Ad-hoc
> Band: Automatic
> (Channel: default)
> BSSID:
> Device MAC address:
> Cloned MAC adresse:
> MTU: automatic
> Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> Method: Shared to other computers
> (Adress:
> Netmask:
> Gateway:
> DNS servers:
> Search domains:
> DHCP client ID
> [x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
> (Nothing edited for "Routes...")
> Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
> Tab "Wireless security"
> Security: WE 128-bit Passphrase
> Key: 1234567890

I figured out that the key 1234567890 is the Password I need to type
using the iPad, nm shows "Wireless connection Last used now". Regarding
to http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/wifi/#section_1 I don't
have to set any Proxy settings on the iPad. Anyway, the iPad get no
access to the Internet. While the wireless connection is reconnecting
again and again and again, managed by nm, I need to run sudo poff -a and
sudo pon dsl-provider again and again and again. Using nm to do the
PPPoE connection doesn't work. Isn't there any howto for Debian and/or
Ubuntu?

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 12:58 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Connection name: Wireless connection 1
> > [x] Connect automatically
> > [x] Available to all users
> > Tab "Wireless"
> > SSID: oz
> > Mode: Ad-hoc
> > Band: Automatic
> > (Channel: default)
> > BSSID:
> > Device MAC address:
> > Cloned MAC adresse:
> > MTU: automatic
> > Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> > Method: Shared to other computers
> > (Adress:
> > Netmask:
> > Gateway:
> > DNS servers:
> > Search domains:
> > DHCP client ID
> > [x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
> > (Nothing edited for "Routes...")
> > Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
> > Tab "Wireless security"
> > Security: WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> > Key: 1234567890
>
> I figured out that the key 1234567890 is the Password I need to type
> using the iPad, nm shows "Wireless connection Last used now". Regarding
> to http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/wifi/#section_1 I don't
> have to set any Proxy settings on the iPad. Anyway, the iPad get no
> access to the Internet. While the wireless connection is reconnecting
> again and again and again, managed by nm, I need to run sudo poff -a and
> sudo pon dsl-provider again and again and again. Using nm to do the
> PPPoE connection doesn't work. Isn't there any howto for Debian and/or
> Ubuntu?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Switching to "WPA & WPA2 personal" nm disconnect all the time. The
padlock icon on the iPad isn't shown anymore. The situation is more
worse as when using WEP.