Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Joel Rees

Default free software mini pc

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> Miles Fidelman wrote at 2012-02-27 16:57 -0600:
>> Perhaps not quite the answer you're looking for, but yours might be
>> a situation that calls for looking at something other than Debian,
>> or even Linux. *I'm thinking particularly that FreeBSD and NetBSD
>> run on LOTS of hardware platforms, provide reliable open source
>> platforms, and run pretty much anything that runs on Debian.
>> Depending on what you're going to be running, that might give you
>> some additional options.
>
> Thanks, I will keep FreeBSD and NetBSD in mind also; perhaps using Debian's
> kfreebsd port.

If you are willing to look at the BSDs, don't forget to check openBSD.
(My thoughts are that those require a higher level of time investment
than you seemed to be interested in, but it is a different kind of
time investment, so they are worth looking at.)

--
Joel Rees

Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 10 mar 12, 11:01:27, Joel Rees wrote:

> As for your requirements, I've been looking and hoping for longer than
> you, and now I think it's expecting too much. Think about cars at the
> beginning of the last century. My father used to tell me about his
> buddies who used hand-operated windshield wipers. (He was a teenager
> between WWI and WWII.) As much as we would rather have off-the-shelf
> stuff, that is not the state of the industry.

Not sure if you are talking about my requirements or the OP's, but if
this one had a DVB-C(2) tuner I'd buy one
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Digital_Media_Player/OPlay_TV_Pro/#specifications
(my TV already has DVB-T, which I can't use anyway)

This one
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Digital_Media_Player/OPlay_HD2/#specifications
is also great, but:
- the USB3 port is slave
- no Gigabit Ethernet

Looking around the internet it seems at least with the HD2 you get root
telnet access, so I'm guessing it shouldn't be to hard to install Debian
on it

Kind regards,
Andrei