Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Gregor Jasny

Default If you own an ASUS notebook, please test latest v4l-utils

Hello,

I'm Gregor a co-maintainer of v4l-utils. As you might know most (all?)
ASUS notebooks have their webcams built in upside down. Libv4l (which is
part of v4l-utils) has an internal notebook model table to detect such
notebooks and flip the image if necessary.

Recently I rewrote the matching algorithm to only match the chassis type
and chassis version and discard things like chipset type. This way we
hope to reduce the upside down table update frequency.

If you own an ASUS notebook and have five minutes time to spare, please
test the changes on your machine:

1. Download v4l-utils snapshot:
wget http://alioth.debian.org/~gjasny-guest/v4l-utils-0.9.0-test1.tar.bz2

2. Install prerequisites: libjpeg-dev libqt4-dev

3. Extract and build tarball
cd v4l-utils-0.9.0-test1
./configure
make

4. Run qv4l2 and check that the image is not upside down:
utils/qv4l2/qv4l2
Start Capturing (big red botton)

5. Report any flipped images to me. Please include the content of
/sys/class/dmi/id/board_name

Thanks for your help,
Gregor

Archive: 4F30FCDA.7060903@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F30FCDA.7060903@googlemail.com

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Per Carlson

Hi Gregor.

> 2. Install prerequisites: libjpeg-dev libqt4-dev

On my laptop running Wheezy, I needed to install another package as
well: pkg-config. Without it, the qv4l2 binary isn't built.

> 5. Report any flipped images to me. Please include the content of
> /sys/class/dmi/id/board_name

BTW, the image was the correct way on my U36SD. Great work!

--
Pelle

"D’ä e å, vett ja”, skrek ja, för ja ble rasen,
”å i åa ä e ö, hörer han lite, d’ä e å, å i åa ä e ö"
*-- Ur "Dumt fôlk" av Gustav Fröding

Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Valerio De Benedetto

No good for my K52JU laptop, the image is still upside down.
cat /sys/class/dmi/id/board_name reports K52JU, on debian wheezy

please fix this, if you can
Valerio

Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Gregor Jasny

Hello,

On 3/11/12 6:28 PM, Valerio De Benedetto wrote:
> No good for my K52JU laptop, the image is still upside down.
> cat /sys/class/dmi/id/board_name reports K52JU, on debian wheezy

The K52* laptops are definitely part of the upside down table of
v4l-utils 0.8.6:

> http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-utils.git/blob/stable-0.8:/lib/libv4lconvert/control/libv4lcontrol.c

Maybe your USB camera id is not yet there. Could you please mail me the
output of dmidecode (run as root) and lsusb?

What program shows the webcam upside down?

Are you on a i386 or amd64 installation?

Thanks,
Gregor