Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Steve Kemp

Default virtual text consoles gone

On Wed Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02 -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

Check your keyboard? (Serious response. Few months ago I got
a new keyboard, and F1-F9 don't do anything unless F-Lock is set..)

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/

Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

* Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> [080402 10:42]:
> On Wed Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02 -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>
> > On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> > console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> > it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> > Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

Check the keyboard options in gnome (system -> preferences -> gnome).
The option and command keys may be swapped.

RLH

Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
>
> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> hendrik@april:~$

Well, the kernel is out of date despite your regular upgrades. I'm on
etch and I'm at 2.6.18-6-amd64.

Try rebooting to single-user (no X) and then doing an update/upgrade
cycle, then reboot.

Doug.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
>
> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

$ uname -a
Linux snoopy 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 16:52:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I had similar experience sometime ago. Then problem disapeared as I
updated system. So if suggestion by others does not work, think about
moing to a newer kernel in unstable.

(But watch out. One kernel update caused me to loose my network device
ue to kernel bug in unstable.)

Osamu

Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 04 Apr 2008, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> > console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> > it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> > Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
> >
> > hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> > Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
> > GNU/Linux
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux snoopy 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 16:52:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I had similar experience sometime ago. Then problem disapeared as I
> updated system. So if suggestion by others does not work, think about
> moing to a newer kernel in unstable.
>
> (But watch out. One kernel update caused me to loose my network device
> ue to kernel bug in unstable.)

That hasn't worked here for at least a year. And now I can't even close
X with ctrl-alt-del.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
on-line books and sceptical articles)

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02 -0400, hendrik AT topoi DOT pooq DOT com wrote:
> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
>
> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

The two most likely causes for this problem are:

1) a misconfiguration of your keyboard, i.e. the XF86_Switch_VT_*
symbols are not generated when you press CTRL-ALT-Fn

2) a problem with your video driver which blocks the necessary video mode
switch

To test for 1), run "xev" in an X terminal and press CTRL, ALT, and F1
separately. Post the output that you get (the KeyPress events). Also
check which event (if any) is registered when you hold down both CTRL
and ALT, and then press F1.

To test for 2), run "tail -n0 -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log" in an X terminal;
this will print all new entries in the Xorg log until you press CTRL-C.
Then open another terminal, become root and run "chvt 1". This should
switch to tty1. Does this work? Which new log messages are reported by
the "tail" command?

Florian |

Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:10:25PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 04 Apr 2008, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > > On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> > > console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> > > it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> > > Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
> > >
> > > hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> > > Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
> > > GNU/Linux
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux snoopy 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 16:52:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > I had similar experience sometime ago. Then problem disapeared as I
> > updated system. So if suggestion by others does not work, think about
> > moing to a newer kernel in unstable.
> >
> > (But watch out. One kernel update caused me to loose my network device
> > ue to kernel bug in unstable.)
> >

> That hasn't worked here for at least a year. And now I can't even close
> X with ctrl-alt-del.

How about "sudo chvt 1" to go to /dev/tty1

Are you in unstable or testing?
Are you using Macbook? I am using it with pommed package.
Without it, I neeed fn-key to be pressed.

Osamu

Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 18:10:25 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> That hasn't worked here for at least a year. And now I can't even close
> X with ctrl-alt-del.

Isn't it ctrl-alt-backspace that's supposed to close X?

-- hendrik

Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:05:49 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:10:25PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> On 04 Apr 2008, Osamu Aoki wrote:

>> > $ uname -a
>> > Linux snoopy 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 16:52:38 UTC 2008
>> > x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> >
>> > I had similar experience sometime ago. Then problem disapeared as I
>> > updated system. So if suggestion by others does not work, think
>> > about moing to a newer kernel in unstable.
>> >
>> > (But watch out. One kernel update caused me to loose my network
>> > device ue to kernel bug in unstable.)
>> >

>> That hasn't worked here for at least a year. And now I can't even close
>> X with ctrl-alt-del.
>
> How about "sudo chvt 1" to go to /dev/tty1
>
> Are you in unstable or testing?

I (the original poster) am using Debian 64-bit stable/etch on an AMD64.

-- hendrik

Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:11:28 -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> * Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> [080402 10:42]:
>> On Wed Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02 -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>>
>> > On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
>> > console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much
>> > to it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an
>> > ocasional new Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start
>> > looking?
>
> Check the keyboard options in gnome (system -> preferences -> gnome).
> The option and command keys may be swapped.

Except I use icewm. But ... I'm not the only user of that machine, and
the other one uses gnome. Maybe gnome sets the keyboard in ways that
icewm doesn't reset?

It's worth a try.

-- hendrik