Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default virtual text consoles gone

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:49:52 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:26:02AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
>> console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
>> it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional
>> new Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
>>
>> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
>> Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
>> GNU/Linux
>> hendrik@april:~$
>
> Well, the kernel is out of date despite your regular upgrades. I'm on
> etch and I'm at 2.6.18-6-amd64.
>
> Try rebooting to single-user (no X) and then doing an update/upgrade
> cycle, then reboot.

I have been upgrading. Could it be that three revisions of kernels have
passed me by unnoticed without a reboot? (I check /boot). Nope. Better
investigate why I'm not getting the upgrades.

Thanks.

-- hendrik

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Andrew Reid

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 11:25, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I have been upgrading. Could it be that three revisions of kernels have
> passed me by unnoticed without a reboot? (I check /boot). Nope. Better
> investigate why I'm not getting the upgrades.

If you have both linux-image-2.6-<arch> and
linux-image-2.6.18-<version>-<arch> on your machine, then
the usual "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" won't do the kernel upgrade,
it will instead "hold" the linux-image-2.6-<arch> package, because
of the dependency coupling -- linux-image-2.6.18-<version>-<arch>
is a dependency of linux-image-2.6-<arch>.

This is a very handy feature for those of us with custom
modules in the kernel, it allows us to do the regular
apt-get two-step without blitzing the kernel, so we can defer
the kernel upgrade until after we've re-read the module
installation instructions.

To do the upgrade, you can explicitly "install" the
latest version, or do "apt-get dist-upgrade", which takes a
more aggressive approach to dependencies.

I have no idea how aptitude handles this.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:01:46 -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 11:25, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>

>> I have been upgrading. Could it be that three revisions of kernels have
>> passed me by unnoticed without a reboot? (I check /boot). Nope. Better
>> investigate why I'm not getting the upgrades.
>
> If you have both linux-image-2.6-<arch> and
> linux-image-2.6.18-<version>-<arch> on your machine, then

It turns out I hadn't installed linux-image-2.6-amd64, so it didn't
automatically notice the new kernel, because there was no dependency.

I installed the new kernel, and it crashed during reboot.

I booted the new kernel a second dime, and it didn't crash this time.

hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
Linux april 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 17:50:19 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hendrik@april:~$

Still no ctl-alt-F1, though. Next I'll try replacing the keyboard.

-- hendrik.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:26:02 -0400, hendrik wrote:

> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
> console a month or two ago. Now I haven't been doing anything much to
> it excpet for regular upgrades, and the installation of an ocasional new
> Debian package. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
>
> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> Linux april 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> hendrik@april:~$
>
> -- hendrik

Today the vertual text consoles are back. No explanation.

-- hendrik

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Brian McKee