Old 12-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Celejar

Default Inconsistent failures to resume from hibernation / suspend-to-disk on a Thinkpad T61

I recently installed Squeeze onto a T61. Hibernation (via the
'hibernate' command, or 'pm-hibernate') always seems to work, but the
system doesn't always come back up. The first time after a reboot it
seems to always come back, but it often / usually fails the second or
third time. I'm running amd64, and I've had the same problems with both
the Squeeze 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel as well as the 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64 from
backports.

I never get any sort of progress report, but when the system comes up
properly, first the cursor flashes large (console, no framebuffer
style), then I get a beep (or several), the cursor shrinks to
framebuffer size, and then the system comes back. When it doesn't, the
cursor stays large, and there are no beeps. [I usually try from within
X, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the same problem when trying from the
console.]

I've checked /var/log/pm-suspend, and there's never anything there past
a report of successful hibernation.

Hardware info:

Intel GM965 graphics
Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 abgn
2 GB RAM

FWIW, I'm currently running the system without any battery.

Hibernation is to a swap partition. Disk is partitioned with /boot on a
primary ext3 partition, and everything else on logical volumes of an
LVM volume group atop an encrypted (dm-crypt / LUKS) volume atop a
second primary partition.

Any ideas, fixes, or troubleshooting suggestions?

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Celejar

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 06:52:39 -0800
keitho@strucktower.com wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I can't say why, but my resume from sleep problems went away after I moved
> to a 3.0 kernel with wheezy. I don't use hibernate. I have a Thinkpad
> T520.

Thanks. I haven't yet begun with sleep, partially since I haven't yet
installed the battery, and partially since I could never get it to work
for years on my previous machine (an Acer Aspire).

One thing I realized was that I have been using the older, kernel based
swsusp. My previous experience has been entirely with the newer,
userspace uswsusp, in Sid. uswsusp is not in Squeeze, but all its
dependencies are (at least now that I've enabled backports and
installed a 2.6.39 kernel with correspondingly newer initramfs system
from backports), so I just grabbed the uswsusp .deb and installed it. So
far it is working well, but we'll have to see if the machine continues
to resume consistently.

Thanks,

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>