Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Creating a VM in VirtualBox

I am running Squeeze.

I have installed VirtualBox 4.1.6 from the VirtualBox website. I have
also installed dkms.

When I start the program it shows no VMs, since I have not yet created
any. I Click to create a new VM and the wizard prompts me through it.
I plan to install XP-Pro since my wife wants to buy me something (I
don't know what) as a gift that only runs on Windows. The VM seems to
build fine, and creates a disk image. When I try to start the VM,
however, instead of prompting me for where the installation media is, I
get an error that says:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XPPro.

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

What am I doing wrong? I'm not running this as root. I don't want to
run as root. I created the VM as a user and the disk image was created
in a subdirectory within my home directory. I am guessing that the
issue is a problem with permissions to use the CDROM drive, but I don't
know what to do about it. I am in groups cdrom, floppy, vboxusers and
just about everything else, so I ought to have access. This happens
whether I insert the CDROM before, or after trying to start the VM. It
happens if the device is mounted, or not.

Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?

Marc

Archive: 4EEAF9BC.2050905@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4EEAF9BC.2050905@gmail.com

Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Don Juan

[...]

try ls -ld /usr /usr/lib

make sure its root:root

That seems to be the common issue people are running into with that
error. Hope that helps.