Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Default Re (2): automating x permission on a file & some chatter.

From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:45:19 -0700
> Is there a constraint that you must use ftp? ...

ETHNO has FTP and SSH.Send but not rsync. SSH.Send requires
painfully more time than FTP does. To obtain rsync, the client
system would have to be changed.

> It sends passwords in the clear ...

These systems are inside a VPN used only by me. No concern for security.

> [ACL] would be much better for rsync over ssh. Start using rsync using
> the -a option ...

I'd have difficulty jettisoning ETHNO as my primary workstation. This
excerpt from the oberon@lists.inf.ethz.ch archive explains better than
I can.

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:32:20 -0500
> ... the oberon system is the most elegant
> piece of software i have ever seen. ... rob pike
> thought he had a powerful windowing and editing system
> ... until someone sat him down in front of an oberon system.
> ... oberon is the ultimate in xerox parc style personal systems,
> and plan 9 is the ultimate 21st century unix.

I'll see whether an ACL can make the freshly FTPed file rwx.

Thanks for the replies, ... Peter E.

--
New telephone 1 360 639 0202. Old telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca
Work "http://carnot.yi.org/".
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary".

Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Bob Proulx

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Is there a constraint that you must use ftp? ...
>
> ETHNO has FTP and SSH.Send but not rsync. SSH.Send requires
> painfully more time than FTP does. To obtain rsync, the client
> system would have to be changed.

I think hacking the ftp backend will always be problematic. The ftpd
on the remote end doesn't have the same information that you want it
to have and I think trying to force it won't be satisfactory.

Is it possible to script a file transfer process? Put the file you
want into an incoming dropbox first. Then upload an additional
control file along with it. A process listens through inotify on the
receiving end for the control file. In the control file add an
integrity check for the original file just for safety sake. When
control files appear the incoming handling process reads the file and
acts upon the instructions included in the file.

That type of thing would allow you to keep using ftp or whatever raw
file transfer protocol you wish to use but then on the receiving side
act upon it to handle the file in whatever way you desire. It could
set the permissions and install it into whatever location the control
file specified.

(I know you said you were using a secure network and so security was
not an issue. But at some point in the future it would be easy to
convert this to using gpg signed files and then it would be secure
even over an insecure network. A plus for a future expansion.)

Bob