FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Frank
 
Default Strange disk performance issue

Hi list,
hoping for help, I'm experiencing a strange performance issue on debian
squeeze. The host is running 2.6.32-5-amd64 on a Xen enterprise cluster,
filesystem lies on a NetApp storage mounted using ISCSI. Other virtual
hosts on that cluster does not have the same performance problems.

As soon as I start to copy i.e. a 2GB file local or to a remote host,
the iowait is rising and the host feels jerking.

sar reports %iowait > 60

Activating block_dump for a minute (echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump)
shows me that the process causing the iowait is jbd2 which is part of
the ext4 filesystem.

Any ideas howto tweak the fs for better performance?

Regards
Frank


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1323768269.3674.28.camel@nero.internal.friendscout 24.de">http://lists.debian.org/1323768269.3674.28.camel@nero.internal.friendscout 24.de
 
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Stan Hoeppner
 
Default Strange disk performance issue

On 12/13/2011 3:24 AM, Frank wrote:
>
> Hi list,
> hoping for help, I'm experiencing a strange performance issue on debian
> squeeze. The host is running 2.6.32-5-amd64 on a Xen enterprise cluster,
> filesystem lies on a NetApp storage mounted using ISCSI. Other virtual
> hosts on that cluster does not have the same performance problems.
>
> As soon as I start to copy i.e. a 2GB file local or to a remote host,
> the iowait is rising and the host feels jerking.
>
> sar reports %iowait > 60
>
> Activating block_dump for a minute (echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump)
> shows me that the process causing the iowait is jbd2 which is part of
> the ext4 filesystem.
>
> Any ideas howto tweak the fs for better performance?

Ext4 isn't the source of the problem but simply the messenger in this
case. Try the deadline and noop elevators and see if that helps. The
default CFQ elevator is known to suck. Also, post the block layer
device driver you're using to access the virtual disk.

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4EE7A64C.6040809@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4EE7A64C.6040809@hardwarefreak.com
 
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Frank
 
Default Strange disk performance issue

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 13:23 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > hoping for help, I'm experiencing a strange performance issue on debian
> > squeeze. The host is running 2.6.32-5-amd64 on a Xen enterprise cluster,
> > filesystem lies on a NetApp storage mounted using ISCSI. Other virtual
> > hosts on that cluster does not have the same performance problems.

I have to correct that statement. All hosts have performance problems.

> > As soon as I start to copy i.e. a 2GB file local or to a remote host,
> > the iowait is rising and the host feels jerking.
> >
> > sar reports %iowait > 60
> >
> > Activating block_dump for a minute (echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump)
> > shows me that the process causing the iowait is jbd2 which is part of
> > the ext4 filesystem.
> > Any ideas howto tweak the fs for better performance?
>
> Ext4 isn't the source of the problem but simply the messenger in this
> case. Try the deadline and noop elevators and see if that helps. The

No it doesn't, same bad performance regardless of which elevator is
used.

> default CFQ elevator is known to suck. Also, post the block layer
> device driver you're using to access the virtual disk.

xen-blkfront is loaded.

Regdards
Frank


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1324282142.8928.73.camel@nero.internal.friendscout 24.de">http://lists.debian.org/1324282142.8928.73.camel@nero.internal.friendscout 24.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org