Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Eric Veiras Galisson

Default Wifi card Realtek 8192SEvB not working on a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 on Debian testing

Hi,
i recently upgraded my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T500) from squeeze to testing and the PCMCIA Wifi card I was using now crashes my system, so I'm back to try to use my internal Wifi card.

It's a Realtek 8192SEvB
# lspci -nn|grep -i wireless03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8172] (rev 10)

When looking at*http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#supported-r8192-pci this model is usable with the rtl8192se driver.

When I rmmod and then modprobe the module, the Wifi card appears quickly in NetworkManager, and connects to my known network, but it quickly disconnects and became unavalaible and I can do nothing to try to connect again, except rmmod & modprobe but with the same results.

I have no idea what the problem can be and how to resolve it, so I come here to know if someone have one.
In squeeze, this card was not recognized and the available driver on the Realtek website never compile (because I'm on amd64 i think) but now in testing the driver seems to be ok, the firmware is available and there is a quick lapse of time when everything works well... so I think I could make this damn internal card works completely but I need some help...

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Eric Veiras Galisson

[...]

After writing this, I rebooted to verify something in the BIOS and finally the problem comes from here: the Wifi card was disabled in BIOS!!! (I did it because it never worked on squeeze).
The behaviour was strange because it appears in my system (iwconfig list it) but it seems that this BIOS setting forbids it to work correctly.
Nevermind it works now and that's great, sorry for the noise...

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Joel Roth

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 07:37:43PM +0100, Eric Veiras Galisson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Eric Veiras Galisson <
> eric.veirasgalisson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i recently upgraded my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T500) from squeeze to
> > testing and the PCMCIA Wifi card I was using now crashes my system, so I'm
> > back to try to use my internal Wifi card.
> >
> > It's a Realtek 8192SEvB
> >
> > # lspci -nn|grep -i wireless
> > 03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8172] (rev 10)
> >
> > When looking at http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#supported-r8192-pci this
> > model is usable with the rtl8192se driver.
(...)
> Nevermind it works now and that's great, sorry for the noise...

What is the exact name of the driver you are using?

Is it included in the stock kernel, or did you have
to compile the Realtek driver sources?

Thanks,

--
Joel Roth

Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
don

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 07:37:43PM +0100, Eric Veiras Galisson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Eric Veiras Galisson <
> eric.veirasgalisson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i recently upgraded my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T500) from squeeze to
> > testing and the PCMCIA Wifi card I was using now crashes my system,
so I'm

> > back to try to use my internal Wifi card.
> >
> > It's a Realtek 8192SEvB
> >
> > # lspci -nn|grep -i wireless
> > 03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8172] (rev 10)
> >
> > When looking at http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#supported-r8192-pci this
> > model is usable with the rtl8192se driver.
> >(...)
> Nevermind it works now and that's great, sorry for the noise...

> >What is the exact name of the driver you are using?

> >Is it included in the stock kernel, or did you have
> >to compile the Realtek driver sources?

> >Thanks,

> >--
> >Joel Roth

For me I just had to download the rtl8192sefw.bin from the realtek
firmware deb. You can install through the package manager, though for me
I had to manually install it to the /lib/firmware/ dir making sure to
keep the directory rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin. Then just reboot and you
will be good to go. I found that if you dont have it in that directory
it will not find it in the user version of the directory.

The other thing I had to do was ditch NetworkManager and install Wicd. I
am running Wheezy KDE, 3.1.0-1-amd64

Hope this may help