Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Olivier BATARD

Default Password Management ?

Hi,

I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a
debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a
password database on a web php site for example ?

How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

I've tried clipperz, but the product is under development and not safe.
Phppassmanager seems great but no update since 2006.

Is there a tool, web or else, to manage database passwords in debian ?

Thanks fir your replies,

Olivier

Old 11-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Chris Brennan

I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a

debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a

password database on a web php site for example ?

How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

I've tried clipperz, but the product is under development and not safe.

Phppassmanager seems great but no update since 2006.

Is there a tool, web or else, to manage database passwords in debian ?

I use KeePass, it's an offline database program to manage passwords, it'sunder active development and I've never had any real problems with it.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:34:51 +0100, Olivier BATARD wrote:

> I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a debian,
> can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a password
> database on a web php site for example ?
>
> How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

Hum... I'm not sure to have understood the question properly.

You mean how to manage your Debian box user system passwords or passwords
(generally speaking) for different services to implement in your server?
I guess is the latter but... :-)

> I've tried clipperz, but the product is under development and not safe.
> Phppassmanager seems great but no update since 2006.
>
> Is there a tool, web or else, to manage database passwords in debian ?

"w3pw" is an application to integrate with your own web server, similar
to "php password manager".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Peter Beck

I use KeePass, it's an offline database program to manage passwords, it's
under active development and I've never had any real problems with it.
I'm also using Keepass, it's available for all platforms (Linux, Win,
Mac, Android,...)

and there is a Web-Interface available, but I've never used it myself:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/webkeepass/

Archive: 4ECECD2F.2090404@datentraeger.li">http://lists.debian.org/4ECECD2F.2090404@datentraeger.li

Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 PM
shawn wilson

On Nov 24, 2011 6:35 AM, "Olivier BATARD" <obatard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a

> debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a

> password database on a web php site for example ?

> How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

It seems you're asking two questions (you didn't mean to but you are).

Per the first question of a password db in debian - there is keychain support for most applications. There is also keypass (already mentioned). And web services like lastpass.

As for your second question about authentication in phone - I'll start out by saying that I don't develop in php. So fwiw, you setup a transactional db. You decide on an encryption schema (blowfish should do for you) and you put some auditing fields that your program checks that helps with management (lock out, reset time, fails, last login, realms, etc). You also generate your per user sault that gets changed with the password (and possibly per x successful logins).

There are probably php modules to help with some of the back end logic as well.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Bob Proulx

Olivier BATARD wrote:
> I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a
> debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a
> password database on a web php site for example ?
>
> How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

You have asked a very confusing question. It will ask different
questions to different people.

You asked specifically about a php web site. Every php web site that
has user logins that I have ever worked with has always had its own
unique password database with its own unique fields. This means that
each php web site needs to manage its own passwords through the
provided php web interface. Or you could access the database directly
such as through the command line or through phpmyadmin.

Bob

Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Stephen Allen

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 04:21:52PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Olivier BATARD wrote:
> > I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a
> > debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a
> > password database on a web php site for example ?
> >
> > How do you manage your user's passwords database ?
>
> You have asked a very confusing question. It will ask different
> questions to different people.

Agreed.

> You asked specifically about a php web site. Every php web site that
> has user logins that I have ever worked with has always had its own
> unique password database with its own unique fields. This means that
> each php web site needs to manage its own passwords through the
> provided php web interface. Or you could access the database directly
> such as through the command line or through phpmyadmin.

Perhaps the OP means something like Keepass or LastPass which manages user passwords in
a web browser environment?

I use LastPass which works fine on GNU/Linux and Google-Chrome and/or Chromium.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Chris Brennan

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 04:21:52PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Olivier BATARD wrote:

> > I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a

> > debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a

> > password database on a web php site for example ?

> > How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

> You have asked a very confusing question. *It will ask different

> questions to different people.

Agreed.

> You asked specifically about a php web site. *Every php web site that

> has user logins that I have ever worked with has always had its own

> unique password database with its own unique fields. *This means that

> each php web site needs to manage its own passwords through the

> provided php web interface. *Or you could access the database directly

> such as through the command line or through phpmyadmin.

Perhaps the OP means something like Keepass or LastPass which manages user passwords in

a web browser environment?

KeePass isn't browser based, it's an encrypted database manager for*account information. While I don't use this feature of KeePass, it can also

fill in browser fields for you.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Olivier BATARD

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 26 nov. 2011 à 18:43, Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 04:21:52PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Olivier BATARD wrote:
>>> I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a
>>> debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a
>>> password database on a web php site for example ?
>>>
>>> How do you manage your user's passwords database ?
>>
>> You have asked a very confusing question. It will ask different
>> questions to different people.
>
> Agreed.

Ok my question is about how to manage user's password I mean how to
store user's password and let them access like keepass but web ?

>> You asked specifically about a php web site. Every php web site that
>> has user logins that I have ever worked with has always had its own
>> unique password database with its own unique fields. This means that
>> each php web site needs to manage its own passwords through the
>> provided php web interface. Or you could access the database directly
>> such as through the command line or through phpmyadmin.
>
> Perhaps the OP means something like Keepass or LastPass which manages user passwords in
> a web browser environment?

Exactly.

> I use LastPass which works fine on GNU/Linux and Google-Chrome and/or Chromium.

Anyone knows an offline tool like lastpass ?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Chris Brennan

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 04:21:52PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

>> Olivier BATARD wrote:

>>> I'm just interested on how, after googling for a long time, on a

>>> debian, can we manage users's passwords. I mean how can we manage a

>>> password database on a web php site for example ?

>>> How do you manage your user's passwords database ?

>> You have asked a very confusing question. *It will ask different

>> questions to different people.

> Agreed.

Ok my question is about how to manage user's password I mean how to

store user's password and let them access like keepass but web ?

>> You asked specifically about a php web site. *Every php web site that

>> has user logins that I have ever worked with has always had its own

>> unique password database with its own unique fields. *This means that

>> each php web site needs to manage its own passwords through the

>> provided php web interface. *Or you could access the database directly

>> such as through the command line or through phpmyadmin.

> Perhaps the OP means something like Keepass or LastPass which manages user passwords in

> a web browser environment?

Exactly.

> I use LastPass which works fine on GNU/Linux and Google-Chrome and/or Chromium.

Anyone knows an offline tool like lastpass ?
LastPass is online and KeePass is offline. Honestly, I would trust KeePassover LastPass.
KeePass is opensource, freely available for multiple OS's and is*actively*

maintained. LastPass is a commercial business, they offer a free and*premium service, just remember that if they go all premium, you might*have to pay to get your data back from them.[1]

I'm a bit paranoid, but I go to great lengths to secure my KeePass DB. Ihave an sD card with a TrueCrypt volume on it, inside that lives KeePassin portable mode, with it's database. Which is also encrypted.

[1] The reason I point this out is when they bought XMarks recently, theyentertained*the idea*among*the XMarks users about a premium onlyservice, I know the friends that I have gotten to use XMarks and I voted no.

XMarks essentially remained the same, but that can change at any time.> --