Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 PM
ISHWAR RATTAN

Default unsed .deb packages??

Is there a way to find out the 'not used' .deb packages after
dis-upgrade and remove them to free up some disk space?

-ishwar

Old 11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:27:59PM -0500, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

> Is there a way to find out the 'not used' .deb packages after
> dis-upgrade and remove them to free up some disk space?

I don't know what you mean by "'not used' after dist-upgrade", but if
you have popularity-contest installed you can run
'popcon-largest-unused'.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 09:32:14PM +0000, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:27:59PM -0500, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to find out the 'not used' .deb packages after
> > dis-upgrade and remove them to free up some disk space?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "'not used' after dist-upgrade", but if
> you have popularity-contest installed you can run
> 'popcon-largest-unused'.

I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 AM
"David Fox"

On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
> page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.

Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
(auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
available. But it removes the debian packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages themselves.

A common scenario:

user has whatsit-1.3.0-1.deb package installed, and has that .deb file
in his /var/cache/apt/archives directory. He then does an upgrade, and
fetches whatsit-1.3.0-3.deb. The upgrade process removes the files
that comprised 1.3.0-1, and replaces them with the files from 1.3.0-3,
of course, but both the debs for whatsit exist in
/var/cache/apt/archives. If the user does an aptitude autoclean, it'll
remove the old version of whatsit (1.3.0-1) in that directory.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 07:02:12PM -0800, David Fox wrote:
> On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
> > page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.
>
> Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
> (auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
> available. But it removes the debian packages in
> /var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages themselves.
>
> A common scenario:
>
> user has whatsit-1.3.0-1.deb package installed, and has that .deb file
> in his /var/cache/apt/archives directory. He then does an upgrade, and
> fetches whatsit-1.3.0-3.deb. The upgrade process removes the files
> that comprised 1.3.0-1, and replaces them with the files from 1.3.0-3,
> of course, but both the debs for whatsit exist in
> /var/cache/apt/archives. If the user does an aptitude autoclean, it'll
> remove the old version of whatsit (1.3.0-1) in that directory.

Is the OP referring to cruft build-up whereby he installs a package
which brings in lots of dependancies and later removes the package and
is wondering what takes care of those dependants?

Aptitude takes care of these on packages you install and later remove
with it. Note, however, that packages installed with some other tool
don't get managed this way; they all look like they are manually
installed.

A common issue for me is immediatly after a fresh install. I never
select any tasks on install and get a base system. I then use aptitude
to mark anything I don't specifically want as 'A'utomatically installed.
If nothing depends on it, it will be removed. Henseforth, I only use
aptitude and no cruft builds up.

Dear OP: do any of these scenarios address your issue or is there
something else?

Doug.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:49 AM
Andrew Reid

On Friday 16 November 2007 22:02, David Fox wrote:
> On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
> > page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.
>
> Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
> (auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
> available. But it removes the debian packages in
> /var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages themselves.

[Common scenario elided]

I wonder if "deborphan" meets the OP's need? It's a utility
that identifies "left over" packages that no other packages
depend on. Library packages that meet this description are
probably left-overs and can be removed.

See <http://packages.debian.org/etch/deborphan> for more details.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Marc Shapiro

Andrew Reid wrote:

I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.

Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
(auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
available. But it removes the debian packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages themselves.

[Common scenario elided]

I wonder if "deborphan" meets the OP's need? It's a utility
that identifies "left over" packages that no other packages
depend on. Library packages that meet this description are
probably left-overs and can be removed.

See <http://packages.debian.org/etch/deborphan> for more details.

-- A.

Perhaps the OP is referring to .deb packages accumulating in
/var/cache/apt/archives. After many upgrades and dist-upgrades there
will be quite a few old versions of many .deb files that build up.
Also, uninstalled packages still leave their .deb files in the
archives. I wrote a program a while back (in Python) which handles this
for me, giving statistics on how many package .deb files exist which are
not installed, or are duplicated in the archives. It then gives options
for deleting them with, or without prompting. I don't know of any
packaged program that does this, however. That's why I wrote my own.
This is what the program shows when it is started up:

CleanApt v0.4.0 - an apt cache cleaner

Total installed packages: 743 Total uninstalled packages in
archive: 23
Total packages in archive: 765 Total files in
archive: 843
Packages in archive w/dups: 59 Files in archive in dup
pkgs: 137

Delete uninstalled packages from archive (y/N/p/q)? y

Running the program with -d will automatically remove dup deb files
leaving only the one with the most recent date. Using -h will, of
course, give a few screens of help on options and usage.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 PM
ISHWAR RATTAN

many package .deb files exist which are not installed, or are duplicated in
the archives. It then gives options for deleting them with, or without
prompting. I don't know of any packaged program that does this, however.
That's why I wrote my own. This is what the program shows when it is started
up:

Will you be willing to post your program?

-ishwar

Old 11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Marc Shapiro