Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default unsed .deb packages??

joseph lockhart wrote:

--- Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Andrew Reid wrote:

On Friday 16 November 2007 22:02, David Fox wrote:

On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West

<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or

auto-clean. Check the man

page. It will remove debs that aren't current.

or something like that.

Actually, all that does is to remove either all

(clean) or selected

(auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're

debs no longer

available. But it removes the debian packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages

themselves.

[Common scenario elided]

I wonder if "deborphan" meets the OP's need?

It's a utility

that identifies "left over" packages that no other

packages

depend on. Library packages that meet this

description are

probably left-overs and can be removed.

See <http://packages.debian.org/etch/deborphan>

for more details.

-- A.

Perhaps the OP is referring to .deb packages
accumulating in
/var/cache/apt/archives. After many upgrades and
dist-upgrades there
will be quite a few old versions of many .deb files
that build up.
Also, uninstalled packages still leave their .deb
files in the
archives. I wrote a program a while back (in
Python) which handles this
for me, giving statistics on how many package .deb
files exist which are
not installed, or are duplicated in the archives.
It then gives options
for deleting them with, or without prompting. I
don't know of any
packaged program that does this, however. That's
why I wrote my own.
This is what the program shows when it is started

up:

CleanApt v0.4.0 - an apt cache cleaner

Total installed packages: 743 Total uninstalled
packages in
archive: 23
Total packages in archive: 765 Total files in
archive: 843

Packages in archive w/dups: 59 Files in archive
in dup
pkgs: 137

Delete uninstalled packages from archive (y/N/p/q)?

Running the program with -d will automatically
remove dup deb files
leaving only the one with the most recent date.
Using -h will, of
course, give a few screens of help on options and

usage.

sounds intresting, you have the .deb posted online
somewhere, or in a repository? I would be intrested in
looking at it.

jwlockhart

this user is penguin powered

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

My previous post had a link to where I have Cleanapt available on the
web, but I will repost it here to make sure that people get it. It is
not packaged as a .deb file.

http://mysite.verizon.net/~mshapiro_42/index.html

From the main page, take the 'Misc' link, scroll to the bottom and
click on 'Cleanapt.' It is posted as a text file so that you can view
it online. Simply save the file to your computer and change or remove
the extension. You will need to modify the permissions to make it
executable. The program needs to be run as root to actually clean up
the archives. I run it with sudo. It will run and display the opening
statistics as a normal user, however.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 AM
andy

Marc Shapiro wrote:
My previous post had a link to where I have Cleanapt available on the
web, but I will repost it here to make sure that people get it. It is
not packaged as a .deb file.

http://mysite.verizon.net/~mshapiro_42/index.html

From the main page, take the 'Misc' link, scroll to the bottom and
click on 'Cleanapt.' It is posted as a text file so that you can view
it online. Simply save the file to your computer and change or remove
the extension. You will need to modify the permissions to make it
executable. The program needs to be run as root to actually clean up
the archives. I run it with sudo. It will run and display the
opening statistics as a normal user, however.

Marc

That does the job very nicely - good coding there.

Thanks

Andy

Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Steve Kemp

Please remember to trim messages you're replying to.

We don't need to have all prior messages in the thread
repeated for each reply..

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/

Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 PM
joseph lockhart

> My previous post had a link to where I have Cleanapt
> available on the
> web, but I will repost it here to make sure that
> people get it. It is
> not packaged as a .deb file.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/~mshapiro_42/index.html
>
> From the main page, take the 'Misc' link, scroll to
> the bottom and
> click on 'Cleanapt.' It is posted as a text file so
> that you can view
> it online. Simply save the file to your computer
> and change or remove
> the extension. You will need to modify the
> permissions to make it
> executable. The program needs to be run as root to
> actually clean up
> the archives. I run it with sudo. It will run and
> display the opening
> statistics as a normal user, however.
>

> --
> Marc Shapiro
> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

yes thank you, i saw that you had posted the link not
long after i asked, sorry about that, i go out of town
for work and when i do a couple of days of mail build
up

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered

Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Paul Johnson

On Nov 16, 7:10 pm, "David Fox" <dfox94...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
> > page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.
>
> Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
> (auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
> available.

Actually, autoclean removes packages that are no longer the latest
available from the local package cache.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 18 November 2007 20:03, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Nov 16, 7:10 pm, "David Fox" <dfox94...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > > I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
> > > page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.
> >
> > Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
> > (auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
> > available.
>
> Actually, autoclean removes packages that are no longer the latest
> available from the local package cache.

I' m sorry to disagree Paul, but that's not the way I found autoclean to work.
I thought it would remove all but the latest package versions, but in effect
only removed those that were no longer available from the repo. I was still
left with multiple versions of packages, in some cases 3, or 4 versions of
the same package. I presume this is so that you can revert to an earlier
version of a package if you have a problem with the latest one, and without
having to download it again.

I havn't tried Marc's script yet, but if it works as he says, it should remove
all but the latest package versions in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Perhaps "clean-all-but-the-latest" would be a good addition to apt-get.

Only light hearted week-end ramblings.

Nigel.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
andy

Nigel Henry wrote:

<snip>
I havn't tried Marc's script yet, but if it works as he says, it should remove
all but the latest package versions in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Perhaps "clean-all-but-the-latest" would be a good addition to apt-get.

Only light hearted week-end ramblings.

Nigel.

To confirm, having tried Marc's script it *does* do exactly that -
either with the option to agree the removal of each package or using the
-d switch, to make it do it automatically. And it is the latest that is
selected by default to be retained.

Andy

Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Marc Shapiro

andy wrote:

Nigel Henry wrote:

<snip>
I havn't tried Marc's script yet, but if it works as he says, it
should remove all but the latest package versions in
/var/cache/apt/archives.

Perhaps "clean-all-but-the-latest" would be a good addition to apt-get.

Only light hearted week-end ramblings.

Nigel.

To confirm, having tried Marc's script it *does* do exactly that -
either with the option to agree the removal of each package or using
the -d switch, to make it do it automatically. And it is the latest
that is selected by default to be retained.

Andy
I'm glad to hear that the program is being useful for people other than
myself. The only problem that I have ever had with it is that on
occasion the output of 'ls' has changed and that has caused problems
when it goes to check the dates. That has not happened for quite a
while, though. With any luck, the output format of 'ls' will be left alone.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com