Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Christian Hammers

Default GRUB: "error incompatible license. Entering rescue mode..."

Hello

Yesterday I created an empty guest system on a VMware Host, bootet it with
a GRML CD, copied over a running system and installed a boot loader using
grub-install.

When rebooting this newly cloned guest system I got the following error:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: incompatible license.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I felt a bit baffled and had no clue so I rebooted GRML again, and this time
ran the grub-install after doing a chroot into the cloned system. That worked.

Still, I'm wondering where this "incompatible license" error comes from.
I cannot find it in the current GRUB2 source code. Has it anything to do
with VMware? Google shows a couple of hits for this message but no real
answer to where there should be a license issue.

Any ideas?

bye,

-christian-

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello List:

I have exactly the same issue, and the same wondering:
any (fresh) idea ?

When rebooting this newly cloned guest system I got the following error:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: incompatible license.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I felt a bit baffled and had no clue so I rebooted GRML again, and this time
ran the grub-install after doing a chroot into the cloned system. That worked.

Still, I'm wondering where this "incompatible license" error comes from.
I cannot find it in the current GRUB2 source code. Has it anything to do
with VMware? Google shows a couple of hits for this message but no real
answer to where there should be a license issue.

Any ideas?

Jerome

Archive: 4FAC4D24.4040701@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FAC4D24.4040701@rezozer.net

Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 AM
Ralf Mardorf

GRUB 3 and GRUB Legacy are GNU GPL 3+
http://www.vmware.com/ ?

It's not unusual that there are issues regarding to licenses.

The Linux kernel-rt and the proprietary Nvidia driver do have licenses
issues too. Not funny since nv is dropped.

- Ralf

Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Brian

On Fri 11 May 2012 at 01:20:04 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> Hello List:
>
> I have exactly the same issue, and the same wondering:
> any (fresh) idea ?

Your setup is possibly inconsistent. The modules in /boot/grub do not
match the version of GRUB in the MBR.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello List:

I have exactly the same issue, and the same wondering:
any (fresh) idea ?

Your setup is possibly inconsistent. The modules in /boot/grub do not
match the version of GRUB in the MBR.

This is certainly true as to fix the issue I played with `grub-install --recheck'.
The error message sounds them rather inappropriate.

Jerome

Archive: 4FAE61B2.5000200@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FAE61B2.5000200@rezozer.net

Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Brad Alexander

I don't recall a license issue, but I recently migrated my workstation
from one drive to the other, and I had to do the following to get it
to work:

grub-install --recheck (to update for the drive/partition UUIDs)
update-grub (to update grub.cfg)

And of course, update your fstab/crypttab.

--b