Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Default sound not working on console only Wheezy laptop

I am trying to get the sound working on a console only Wheezy laptop (all
current software updates).
I know the hardware works from (dual) booting to Windows XP.

I get no sound, not even system beeps. Initially I was getting an error on
bootup that said "Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...",
but after investigating a bit decided to load alsa-base and that error
message no longer appears.

I used alsamixer to turn up the volume on all the channels, still no
sound. Running speaker-test gives no sound either.
I am currently only using mp3's to test with. When I try to play an mp3
file I get no errors, just no sound.

I must be missing something... any ideas?

root@eve:~# lsmod|grep -i snd
snd_intel8x0 22382 0
snd_ac97_codec 84197 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 12462 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 53315 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq 39539 0
snd_timer 22027 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 12985 1 snd_seq
snd 38562 6
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 12992 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 12899 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

root@eve:~# lsmod|grep -i pcsp
pcspkr 12515 0

root@eve:~# aplay -l
card 0: I82801CAICH3 [Intel 82801CA-ICH3], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel
82801CA-ICH3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pertinent stanza from lspci -v
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Cirrus Logic Crystal WMD Audio Codec
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
I/O ports at dc80 [size=64]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH

Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Julien Claassen

Hello Keitho!
The Intel soundcards are known, to sometmes generate problems, because
they're not all supported yet. This architecture - if I remember correctly -
wraps up an assortment of chips. Were you able to get sound on your laptop
under Linux before? Are you able to get sound from a GUI, if you use any? If a
GUI is installed, maybe pulseAudio or ESD is active and blocks your ALSA
devices.

Could you do a ps -ax | less to see, if pulseaudio or esd is running?
You might also go to
http://www.alsa-project.org
and check for the support of your card.
The pcspk driver is - if I'm not mistaken - not really used for beeps. But
I'm not on good terms with laptops. :-)
Are you sure, that you unmuted the correct items in your alsamixer? I think
you can get a complete list with amixer, that can easily be redirected into a
file. But I don't have teh commandline present right now.

Kind regards
Julien

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

====== Find my music at ======
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1111071927420.18462@britney.spears .net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1111071927420.18462@britney.spears .net

Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Hi Julien-

Thanks! Now it is working.

I went to the alsa-project.org and found a page that describes how to
setup alsa for this driver. Even though some of the information there is
old, this is what worked:

"In order to unmute the default speaker jacks do:

amixer set PCM 100 unmute"

Hmm... maybe I misread the alsamixer screen somehow...

But at any rate, sound now working- THANKS again!

Keith