Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Camaleón

Default flashplugin-nonfree or mozilla-flashplugin?

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:10:13 +0000, Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 10:56 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
>> I could be wrong :-), seems lkike the DM site upgrades versions
>> quicker.
>
> I know nothing about Marillat's packages, but you have to update
> flashplugin-nonfree manually by running:
>
> update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
>
> The package itself is not updated for every new upstream release, but
> the checksum it downloads and the plugin tarball is.

Mmmm... then here we have the difference between these two packages: non-
free's from Debian contains no plugin file but a script to fetch the
library from Adobe site while D-M's does contain the ".so" file :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

07/11/2011 15:43, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:10:13 +0000, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 10:56 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
>>> I could be wrong :-), seems lkike the DM site upgrades versions
>>> quicker.
>>
>> I know nothing about Marillat's packages, but you have to update
>> flashplugin-nonfree manually by running:
>>
>> update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
>>
>> The package itself is not updated for every new upstream release, but
>> the checksum it downloads and the plugin tarball is.
>
> Mmmm... then here we have the difference between these two packages: non-
> free's from Debian contains no plugin file but a script to fetch the
> library from Adobe site while D-M's does contain the ".so" file :-)
>
> Greetings,

Another difference aside from the update policy is that d-m package
ships additional files, like the "flash-player-properties" setting
panel, the kde4 systemsettings integration. All are included in the
original Adobe Flashplayer tarball, but flashplugin-nonfree only
installs the plugin.
There is a bug report requesting helper files installation, see #630223.

In the end both packages ship the same crap, only d-m one ships it in a
more polished and exhaustive way.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:21:11 +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

> 07/11/2011 15:43, Camaleón wrote:

>> Mmmm... then here we have the difference between these two packages:
>> non- free's from Debian contains no plugin file but a script to fetch
>> the library from Adobe site while D-M's does contain the ".so" file :-)
>>

> Another difference aside from the update policy is that d-m package
> ships additional files, like the "flash-player-properties" setting
> panel, the kde4 systemsettings integration. All are included in the
> original Adobe Flashplayer tarball, but flashplugin-nonfree only
> installs the plugin.
> There is a bug report requesting helper files installation, see #630223.

Yes, I think this was already noticed by the OP in his first post.

> In the end both packages ship the same crap, only d-m one ships it in a
> more polished and exhaustive way.

I cannot agree more.

Anyway, I only get the library file and leave the rest. For GNOME users
the addons are meaningless.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón