Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Alternatives to Iceape Display Problems? - WOW!

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 06:12:15PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:39:07 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 04:44:06PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> >> To ensure what flash plugin your browser sees, you can:
> >>
> >> 1/ Open Iceape browser and type "aboutlugins"
> >
> > This is how I found where the different versions of flash were
> > installed.
>
> It is fine to have several versions of the plugin. I also have Gnash
> (installed system-wide) and Adobe's Flash installed in my mozilla home
> folder, this way I can see how both work: Firefox uses Adobe flash while
> Epiphany loads Gnash :-)

I went to /usr/lib, moved nspluginwrapper to x_nspluginwrapper and
rebooted.

First WOW! The sluggish behavior of the iceape browser was gone. It
brought up the adobe.com/software/flash/about site immediately BUT still
with no images. Checking aboutlugins I found the gnash plugin moved
to the top of the list.

Next, I went to /usr/lib, moved gnash to x_gnash and rebooted

Second WOW! Not only was the iceape browser now lightning fast but also
when the adobe.com/software/flash/about site came up there were not only
images but also a test result showing the version of flash I was using.
In all the other visits to this web site I had never seen this and had
searched in vain for clickable test command.

All my problems are solved.

Tom

Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 11:05:43 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 06:12:15PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> It is fine to have several versions of the plugin. I also have Gnash
>> (installed system-wide) and Adobe's Flash installed in my mozilla home
>> folder, this way I can see how both work: Firefox uses Adobe flash
>> while Epiphany loads Gnash :-)
>>
> I went to /usr/lib, moved nspluginwrapper to x_nspluginwrapper and
> rebooted.
>
> First WOW! The sluggish behavior of the iceape browser was gone. It
> brought up the adobe.com/software/flash/about site immediately BUT still
> with no images. Checking aboutlugins I found the gnash plugin moved
> to the top of the list.
>
> Next, I went to /usr/lib, moved gnash to x_gnash and rebooted
>
> Second WOW! Not only was the iceape browser now lightning fast but also
> when the adobe.com/software/flash/about site came up there were not only
> images but also a test result showing the version of flash I was using.
> In all the other visits to this web site I had never seen this and had
> searched in vain for clickable test command.
>
> All my problems are solved.

Good! :-)

The wrapper file (nspluginwrapper), as I said, it should be not needed
anymore because most of the plugins (java, adobe flash and/or PDF...) are
nowadays being developed for each architecture separately (mostly i386
and amd64) so there is no need to make "tricks" to run them. It could be
still useful for other architectures, though.

Your other problem was having the Gnash plugin set as the default instead
Adobe flash player. It is still unclear why Gnash refused to load the
videos, but this can be an aside problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón